Arcelor Mittal acquires 28 pc stake in China Oriental for $647mNovember 14th, 2007 - 10:16 am ICT by admin
Arcelor Mittal has now become China Oriental’s second-largest shareholder.
Shares in China Oriental, which have tripled over the past year amid the buyout talk, were suspended on Wednesday, the China Daily reported.
Arcelor Mittal is the only foreign firm to have a direct ownership in a Chinese steel maker, through a nearly one-third stake in Hunan Valin Steel Tube and Wire, China’s tenth-largest producer.
The stake in China Oriental is expected to give Arcelor Mittal a platform in China’s northern industrial province of Hebei, which is also rich in iron ore, to complement the Valin stake in the south.
China Oriental’s net profit for last year was of 1.03 billion yuan (138 million dollars). It sold about 3.75 million tons of steel products and generated sales of 1.3 billion.
Its main operating subsidiaries are Jinxi Iron and Steel in Hebei, and Foshan Jinxi in the southern province of Guangdong.
The stake acquisition assumes significance as Chen had been advocating for China Oriental to buy mills and participate in the consolidation of China’s steel industry, and had signalled her intention to sell her stake in the firm if her takeover effort fell short. (ANI)
- ArcelorMittal changes India strategy, focus on smaller units - Sep 16, 2010
- Rival betters ArcelorMittal's offer for Toronto mining company - Jan 03, 2011
- ArcelorMittal Liberia announces first iron ore shipment - Mar 20, 2012
- ArcelorMittal set to buy Canadian iron ore company for $433 million - Dec 16, 2010
- S&P; cuts ArcelorMittal ratings to junk status - Aug 03, 2012
- ArcelorMittal, partner nearing absolute control of Baffinland - Feb 08, 2011
- Arcelor, partner in virtual takeover of iron-ore giant - Feb 19, 2011
- ArcelorMittal again gets nod from Canadian company for takeover - Jan 05, 2011
- ArcelorMittal again extends bid for Canadian ore company - Jan 11, 2011
- ArcelorMittal to invest $5 bn in new steel mill in Brazil - Nov 06, 2009
- ArcelorMittal to set up steel joint venture in China - Jun 28, 2008
- ArcelorMittal hikes bid for Canadian iron ore giant - Jan 01, 2011
- Jharkhand considering MoU renewal for ArcelorMittal steel plant - Aug 01, 2012
- Posco relents, to set up steel plant in Karnataka - Jun 04, 2010
- ArcelorMittal says it won't extend Canadian takeover offer - Dec 23, 2010
Tags: arcelor mittal, buyout bid, china daily, foshan, hebei, hunan valin, iron and steel, iron ore, northern industrial, pc stake, southern province, steel industry, steel products, steel tube, tons of steel, triumph corp, tube and wire