Arab countries to establish union of free zones in regionJune 1st, 2008 - 4:37 pm ICT by admin
Amman, June 1 (Xinhua) Arab countries are planning to establish a union of the area’s free economic zones in an effort to coordinate measures and laws among them to attract investment, media reports said Sunday. The announcement of the “Arab Union of Free Zones” was made after a two-day forum on investment in the free zones concluded here Saturday, the Jordan Times reported.
The union, to be based in Amman, comprises Jordan, Syria, Sudan, Egypt, Oman, Bahrain, Libya, Iraq and the United Arab Emirates as well as the private free zones in Arab states.
It is seen by the participants as an important step towards enhancing partnership and investment among Arab countries through a system of integrating different laws.
Mahmoud Qteishat, director general of Jordan’s Free Zones Corporation (FZC), was named secretary general of the union.
Ahmad Abdul-Aziz, director general of the Syrian Free Zones, said membership forms would be distributed to all Arab free zones after the proposal is endorsed by the Arab League.
He added that membership was open to free zones and not limited to countries.
According to Qteishat, there are 35 Arab free zones spreading over 13 countries with a total investment of $8 billion.
- Arab League states seek suspension of Syria - Jun 15, 2011
- Arab League offers safe exit if Assad resigns - Jul 23, 2012
- Libya to form interim government in 8 months - Oct 22, 2011
- 130,000 Syrians fled to Jordan since 2011 - Jul 09, 2012
- US accused of involvement in Syria violence: Arab League - Nov 08, 2011
- UNSC condemns diplomatic premises attacks in Syria - Nov 16, 2011
- NATO chief dismisses talk of intervention in Syria - Nov 05, 2011
- Russia to discuss Syria with Iran - Jun 12, 2012
- Thousands of Syrians rally in support of Assad - Nov 19, 2011
- Syria says it won't go the Libya way - Apr 22, 2012
- Moscow ready to host conference on Syria - Jun 13, 2012
- Finland embassy staff leaves Syria - Mar 20, 2012
- Syrian defence minister, deputy killed in Damascus bombing (Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- Saudi prince's funeral services held in Mecca (Lead) - Jun 18, 2012
- Two of M.F. Husain's works feature in Doha auction - Dec 01, 2010
Tags: abdul aziz, ahmad, amman, arab countries, arab league, arab states, arab union, day forum, director general, free economic zones, fzc, investment media, jordan times, libya, mahmoud, membership forms, oman, secretary general, united arab emirates, xinhua