Apple’s Mac App Store downloads top 100 mnDecember 13th, 2011 - 10:20 am ICT by IANS
San Francisco, Dec 13 (IANS) Over 100 million apps have been downloaded from Apple’s Mac App Store since its launch in January, Xinhua reported.
“With more than 100 million downloads in less than a year, the Mac App Store is the largest and fastest growing PC software store in the world,” Apple said in a statement Monday, adding that “Mac App Store is changing the traditional PC software industry.”
Apple launched the Mac App Store in January as a free download for Mac OS X users, allowing users to sift through free and paid applications and download them to their devices like Apple mobile App Store.
After 24 hours of release, there was a total of more than one million downloads. Apple said Monday that the Mac App Store now offers thousands of apps in education, games, graphics and design, lifestyle, productivity, utilities and other categories.
According to its policies, 70 percent of the revenue generated from paid applications goes to developers while the remaining 30 percent is kept by Apple.
Apple’s first application store is the mobile App Store launched in 2008, which, in the tech giant’s words, has “changed how people get mobile apps”.
In October, Apple said, its mobile app downloads topped 18 billion and over $3 billion had been paid to developers since 2008.
- Chinese downloads 25 billionth app - Mar 06, 2012
- YouTube launches iPhone app with advertisements - Sep 12, 2012
- Apple releases preview of new Mac operating system - Feb 17, 2012
- 1 Million Mac Apps Downloaded In A Day, Says Apple - Jan 08, 2011
- Apple's app store crosses 15 billion downloads - Jul 08, 2011
- Google acquires Nik Software - Sep 18, 2012
- Milestones in a tech legend's journey - Oct 06, 2011
- Google buys Instagram rival Snapseed - Sep 18, 2012
- Google buys Quickoffice - Jun 06, 2012
- Apple removes spam message app from App Store - Jul 06, 2012
- Google opens online store for Android users - Feb 03, 2011
- Apple to unveil future of its operating systems - Mar 29, 2011
- Google buys email management software provider - Jul 21, 2012
- Zune PC software likely to become Windows Phone 7's iTunes - Sep 21, 2010
- Hackers have a field day at the Mac app store - Jan 08, 2011
Tags: 100 million, application store, developers, education games, launch, Life Style, mac os x, mobile apps, one million, os x, pc software industry, pc software store, productivity utilities, revenue generated from, san francisco, world apple, xinhua