Apple season almost over in HimachalNovember 3rd, 2010 - 5:00 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, Nov 3 (IANS) The apple season in Himachal Pradesh is almost over with more than four crore boxes sold to markets across the country, an official said here Wednesday.
The state has made a record production of 4.2 crore boxes of 20 kg each this year. Last year, the production was almost three times less — 1.4 crore boxes.
“The season is almost over with the transportation of entire crop from apple-growing areas in Shimla, Mandi and Kullu districts to various markets,” Horticulture Director Gurdev Singh told IANS.
He said now only a small chunk of the crop is left in high-altitude areas of Kinnaur and Lahaul and Spiti districts.
“This year’s crop was all-time high due to favourable weather throughout the season. The farmers got good prices despite bumper crop,” he added.
In 2007, the apple production in the state was 2.6 crore boxes.
Adani Agrifresh has procured 8.25 lakh crates of apples, almost double than last year’s.
“Most of the fruit has been procured from more than 10,000 farmers directly. The high-quality fruit from Kinnaur was procured at Rs.44 per kg,” Adani’s Deputy General Manager Sanjay Mahajan said.
The company has three stores at Rampur, Sainj and Rohru in the state.
The Kothgarh-Thanedar apple belt in Shimla district is the prominent apple belt in the state.
Apple is the main fruit crop of the state and is being grown in nine out of 12 districts. Apple fruit accounts for about 40 percent of the total area under all fruit crop cultivation.
Besides apple, other fruits like pears, peaches, cherries, apricots, kiwi, strawberry, olive, almonds and plums are the major commercial crops of the state.
- Treat hail-caused crop loss as natural disaster, says Himachal - Jul 02, 2011
- Adani procures apples from Himachal growers - Aug 14, 2011
- Early Himachal apple varieties fetch high prices - Jul 16, 2012
- Brace up for high apple prices as Himachal's crop yield falls - Jun 13, 2011
- Rains help Himachal's apple crop, record output likely - Jun 09, 2010
- Himachal needs Rs.400 crore for anti-hail guns - Aug 23, 2011
- Himachal apple price tumbles - Aug 19, 2012
- Snow cheers apple growers in Himachal - Jan 16, 2011
- Himachal seeks central package for fruit crop loss - Aug 04, 2011
- Hike duty on Chinese apple: Himachal Congress - Jun 26, 2011
- Himachal's apples - 70 percent less yield - Nov 01, 2011
- Extended chill may upset Himachal's applecart - Apr 16, 2011
- Too much rain takes crunch out of Himachal apple - Sep 29, 2010
- Poor yield makes Himachal apple business fruitful - Sep 09, 2011
- Prices of Himachal apples fail to bounce back - Jul 22, 2010
Tags: apple fruit, apple production, apple season, bumper crop, commercial crops, crop cultivation, crore, deputy general, fruit crop, gurdev singh, kinnaur, kiwi strawberry, kullu, mahajan, mandi, plums, quality fruit, sanjay, shimla, spiti