Apple says over 300,000 iPads sold on debutApril 6th, 2010 - 1:31 am ICT by IANS
San Francisco, April 6 (DPA) Apple sold over 300,000 iPads when the eagerly-anticipated tablet computer was launched Saturday, the company announced Monday.
The sales figure included units that had been pre-ordered online and which were bought directly from retail stores, Apple said. The official sales figure was broadly in line with earlier Apple estimates.
But it was just half of the widely quoted sales figure of 600,000 to 700,000 units estimated by analyst Gene Munster Sunday.
Reports in the US also indicated that despite long lines at Apple’s retail stores early Saturday, Apple had ample supply of the devices and customers could walk in to buy iPads without any waiting later in the day.
Apple hopes that the touch-screen device will bridge the gap between smartphones and laptops and popularise a new kind of digital device - this despite the failures of earlier tablet computers to catch on with consumers over the past ten years.
“It feels great to have the iPad launched into the world - it’s going to be a game changer,” said Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO. “iPad users, on average, downloaded more than three apps and close to one book within hours of unpacking their new iPad.”
- Apple blamed for delayed launch of BlackBerry tablet - Apr 08, 2011
- Apple has sold 2m iPads in 60 days - Jun 01, 2010
- Samsung has not infringed Apple's key patent: Tokyo court - Aug 31, 2012
- World's leading electronics fair opens in Berlin - Sep 04, 2011
- New iPad to go on sale Friday: Apple - Mar 15, 2012
- iPad finally goes on sale - Apr 03, 2010
- Apple starts shipping first iPads - Mar 30, 2010
- Mini iPad Rumors Hit The Web - Aug 29, 2010
- Mini-laptop market to shrink by 40 mn in 2012 - Dec 08, 2011
- Apple's iPad named 'Gadget of the Year' - Oct 12, 2010
- iPad crowned gadget of the year - Oct 12, 2010
- Apple's new iPad today to kick off tablet war - Mar 02, 2011
- Chinese retailers stop Apple iPad sales - Feb 18, 2012
- BlackBerry sells about 50,000 tablets on launch day - Apr 21, 2011
- Samsung unveils Galaxy to challenge Apple's iPad - Sep 03, 2010
Tags: ample supply, apps, ceo, consumers, debut, dpa, estimates, game, gap, ipad, ipads, laptops, retail stores, san francisco, smartphones, steve jobs, steve jobs apple, tablet computer, tablet computers, touch screen