Apple quarterly results exceed expectationsApril 25th, 2012 - 9:20 am ICT by IANS
San Francisco, April 25 (IANS) Apple has released quarterly sales and earnings results that surpassed analysts’ expectations.
In its fiscal 2012 second quarter ending March 31, the company raked $39.2 billion in revenue, an increase of nearly 59 percent from $24.7 billion in the same period a year earlier.
Net profit was $11.6 billion or $12.3 per share, nearly doubled when compared with numbers in the year-ago quarter of $6 billion or $6.4 per share, Xinhua reported.
Analysts had expected Apple to report earnings of $10.04 per share on revenue of $36.81 billion, according to a consensus estimate by Thomson Reuters.
The company benefited from consumers’ strong demands for its iPhone and iPad products.
Apple sold 35.1 million iPhones and 11.8 million iPads during the quarter, representing unit growth of 88 percent and 151 percent year on year, respectively.
“We’re thrilled with sales of over 35 million iPhones and almost 12 million iPads in the March quarter,” Tim Cook, Apple’s chief executive officer, said in a statement Tuesday.
“The new iPad is off to a great start, and across the year you’ re going to see a lot more of the kind of innovation that only Apple can deliver,” he added.
Apple’s results are being closely watched by the market as there were concerns on whether the company could keep the momentum to deliver better-than-expected numbers to satisfy investors.
Apple’s shares Tuesday rose more than 6 percent in after-hours trading following the earnings announcement.
- Apple doubles profit on solid iPhone sales - Apr 25, 2012
- Apple reports record quarterly revenue, earnings - Jan 25, 2012
- Despite record profits, Apple disappoints Wall Street - Oct 19, 2011
- Apple sells every iPad made, profits zoom up 125 percent (Lead) - Jul 20, 2011
- Apple sells every iPad, profits jump 125 percent - Jul 20, 2011
- Jobs turns loser Apple into a big winner - Oct 06, 2011
- Apple becomes most valuable company in history - Aug 21, 2012
- Apple Profits Soar From Strong iMac And iPad Sales - Jul 21, 2010
- Apple CEO Attacks Rivals At Quarterly Earning Call - Oct 19, 2010
- BRIC revenues help push IBM profits - Apr 18, 2012
- Apple posts surge in profit, sales - Apr 21, 2010
- BlackBerry posts 40 percent growth to beat forecasts - Dec 17, 2010
- Amazon sells 3.9 mn tablets in Q4 2011 - Feb 17, 2012
- HP posts decline of quarterly profit, sales - Feb 23, 2012
- Apple's app store crosses 15 billion downloads - Jul 08, 2011
Tags: 1 million, apple, chief executive officer, consensus estimate, consumers, earnings announcement, earnings results, ipad, ipads, iphone, iphones, momentum, net profit, quarterly results, quarterly sales, reuters, second quarter, thomson, tim cook, xinhua