Apple posts $1.21 billion profit; iPhone sales surge 123 percentApril 23rd, 2009 - 10:33 am ICT by IANS
New York, April 23 (IANS) The economic slump seems to have no impact on Apple Inc. as Cupertino-based electronic and software giant posted a quarterly profit of $1.21 billion on revenue of $8.16 billion Wednesday.
Driven by higher sales of iPhones and iPods, Apple’s quarterly profit is 15.2 percent up from $1.05 billion during the same period a year ago. About 46 percent of the company’s revenue came from international sales. During this (second) quarter, Apple sold 3.79 million iPhones, up a huge 123 percent from the same period last year.
At 11.01 million units, the quarterly sales of iPods also jumped about three percent from the same period a year ago. In total, Apple has sold more than 37 million iPhones and iPods worldwide so far.
However, the sales of Macintosh computers declined by three percent to 2.22 million during the quarter, compared to the same period a year ago. However, the dip in Macintosh sales is much less compared to the seven percent decline in the personal computer market, Apple chief financial officer (CFO) Peter Oppenheimer said in a statement.
“We are extremely pleased to report the best non-holiday quarter revenue and earnings in our history,” he said.
The chief financial officer said, “Apple’s financial condition remains very robust, with almost $29 billion in cash and marketable securities on our balance sheet.”
Looking at the third quarter, he said, “We expect revenue in the range of about $7.7 billion to $7.9 billion and we expect diluted earnings per share in the range of about $.95 to $1.00.”
Apple’s iPhone 3G, the second-generation iPhone which was unveiled in July 2008, has been a huge success in over 70 countries. In the very first quarter after its launch, iPhone 3G sold more than 6.9 million units, beating the total 6.1 million sales of the first-generation iPhone over five quarters.
- Apple sells every iPad made, profits zoom up 125 percent (Lead) - Jul 20, 2011
- Apple sells every iPad, profits jump 125 percent - Jul 20, 2011
- Apple doubles profit on solid iPhone sales - Apr 25, 2012
- Apple posts surge in profit, sales - Apr 21, 2010
- Apple reports 30-45 percent growth in fiscal 2010 first quarter - Mar 10, 2010
- Jobs turns loser Apple into a big winner - Oct 06, 2011
- Apple CEO Attacks Rivals At Quarterly Earning Call - Oct 19, 2010
- Apple smashes Mac, iPhone sales records again - Jan 26, 2010
- Apple quarterly results exceed expectations - Apr 25, 2012
- Apple's app store crosses 15 billion downloads - Jul 08, 2011
- Apple reports record quarterly revenue, earnings - Jan 25, 2012
- Apple co-founder Steve Jobs dead at 56 - Oct 06, 2011
- Apple Profits Soar From Strong iMac And iPad Sales - Jul 21, 2010
- Apple's market share growth pauses - Aug 15, 2012
- Apple beats Google in US smartphone market - Jan 26, 2012
Tags: apple posts, cash and marketable securities, chief financial officer, cupertino, earnings per share, economic slump, holiday quarter, iphone, iphones, ipods, launch, macintosh computers, macintosh sales, million sales, personal computer market, peter oppenheimer, quarter revenue, quarterly profit, quarterly sales, software giant