Apple beats Google in US smartphone marketJanuary 26th, 2012 - 4:01 am ICT by IANS
San Francisco, Jan 26 (IANS) Apple overtook Google’s Android to become the leading smartphone platform in the US in the fourth quarter of 2011, thanks to strong demand for its latest iPhone model, a study said Wednesday.In October-December quarter last year, Apple’s share of the US smartphone market doubled from a year earlier to 44.9 percent, while Android’s share fell from 50 percent to 44.8 percent in the same period, according to market research firm Kantar Worldpanel.
While Android retains global smartphone crown, Apple is now growing at a faster rate, driven by the launch of its latest iPhone 4S model in October last year, Kantar Worldpanel noted.
“Overall, Apple sales are now growing at a faster rate than Android across the nine countries we cover,” Xinhua reported quoting Dominic Sunnebo, global consumer insight director at the research firm.
Apple posted better-than-expected quarterly results Tuesday, saying it sold a record-breaking 37.04 million units of iPhone in total in the fourth quarter last year, an increase of 128 percent over the year-ago period.
- Android, iOS power 85 percent of smartphones shipped - Aug 09, 2012
- Apple's market share growth pauses - Aug 15, 2012
- Survey reveals that Android and Apple control 71 percent of the smartphone market - Nov 30, 2011
- Half a billion Android devices activated: Google - Sep 13, 2012
- Android phones more desired in US than iPhone or BlackBerry: Report - Apr 27, 2011
- Apple working on less expensive iPhones - Feb 14, 2011
- Android phones more popular than iPhones - Oct 13, 2010
- Android overtakes Symbian as world's most popular smartphone OS - Feb 02, 2011
- Apple 'crowned' global smart phone leader - Aug 06, 2011
- Apple to launch smaller iPhone - Feb 11, 2011
- Apple reports record quarterly revenue, earnings - Jan 25, 2012
- Smartphones capture 40 percent of US market - Sep 02, 2011
- Facebook smartphone to be 'released next year' - May 28, 2012
- Apple ousts Nokia as world's largest smartphone vendor - Jul 30, 2011
- Amazon sells 3.9 mn tablets in Q4 2011 - Feb 17, 2012