Apollo Hospitals shelves plans to buy Wockhardt unitsJune 17th, 2009 - 5:49 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, June 17 (IANS) Apollo Hospitals has shelved plans to buy a “basket of hospitals” from Wockhardt, a senior company official said here Wednesday.
“There is a lot of synergy between us, but we have a responsibility towards our shareholders and investors,” Apollo Hospitals managing director Preetha Reddy told reporters.
“Valuation was done and what we felt was a fair valuation that would have been fine with our board, investors and shareholders, was really not what the hospital group (Wockhardt) was looking at,” she added.
Additionally, Reddy said, the geographic locations offered by Wockhardt did not meet Apollo’s criteria.
“They offered us hospitals in Mumbai, Bangalore and Kolkata. But our footprint is also very strong in these regions. That’s why it would have not been prudent for us to go and buy hospitals in these regions again,” she said.
Apollo has undertaken a Rs.12-billion expansion this fiscal and plans to add 1,800 beds across hospitals, besides upgrading equipment and technology.
“By and large, we will go for only greenfield hospitals,” Reddy said.
- Apollo may set up more hospitals in West Bengal - Sep 02, 2010
- India's Fortis Healthcare exits race for Singapore's Parkway - Jul 26, 2010
- Appollo plans to set up 50 new hospitals across India - Sep 28, 2010
- Parkway stake makes Fortis largest Asian hospital chain - Mar 12, 2010
- Apollo eyeing investments in Africa - Feb 21, 2011
- Apollo Hospitals to add over 2,000 beds in four years - Mar 23, 2010
- Vedanta merges units to create India's largest resources firm (Lead) - Feb 26, 2012
- Fortis acquires 10 Wockhardt hospitals - Aug 24, 2009
- LVMH to acquire Bulgari for 3.7 bln euros - Mar 08, 2011
- Reliance Securities launches regular stock purchase plan - Aug 04, 2011
- Apollo's Reddy bets big on Africa, health tourism - Sep 19, 2010
- Indian-American doctor offers healthcare solutions for India - Aug 13, 2012
- Facebook set to raise $16 bn with largest tech IPO - May 18, 2012
- Apollo plans 32 new hospitals in two years - Mar 18, 2010
- Padma Bhushan an honour for Apollo family: Preetha Reddy - Jan 25, 2010