Apex court partially lifts mining ban in BellaryAugust 5th, 2011 - 5:58 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 5 (IANS) Partially lifting its ban on iron ore mining in Karnataka’s Bellary district, the Supreme Court Friday asked the National Mineral Development Corporation (NMDC) to start mining on its two leases to produce 12 million tonnes iron ore to meet the domestic requirement of the iron and steel industry.
The court asked the Indian Council for Forestry Research and Education (ICFRE) to carry out an environment impact assessment of the area.
The report should be submitted to the apex court in three months. The court has asked the environment and forest ministry to frame terms of reference for the assessment.
An apex court forest bench of Chief Justice S.H. Kapadia, Justice Aftab Alam and Justice Swatanter Kumar said there will be no export of iron ore mined from Bellary.
The court said the state government will charge 10 percent of the market price of the extracted ore as royalty from the NMDC.
- Supreme Court bans mining in Karnataka's Tumkur, Chitradurga - Aug 26, 2011
- Apex court approves reclamation of Karnataka mines (Lead) - Apr 14, 2012
- Iron ore mining set to resume in Karnataka (Lead) - Jul 05, 2012
- Supreme Court suspends 10 mining leases in Karnataka - Apr 29, 2011
- Apex court approves reclamation of Karnataka mines - Apr 13, 2012
- Apex court may ban mining in 3 Karnataka districts - Jul 15, 2011
- Apex court asked to extend mining ban in Karnataka - Aug 19, 2011
- Supreme Court stops all mining work in Bellary - Jul 29, 2011
- Karnataka to re-open eight iron ore mines soon - Jul 05, 2012
- Apex court suspends 10 mining leases in Karnataka (Lead) - Apr 29, 2011
- No resumption of Karnataka mining without rehabilitation: Apex court - Aug 17, 2012
- Supreme Court panel vetoes mining by Reddy brothers - Jan 07, 2011
- Illegal Karnataka mining: SC tells panel to focus on convictions - Aug 23, 2012
- Illegal mining by Adani, Jindal group to be probed: Apex court - Nov 18, 2011
- SC lifts ban on 18 iron ore mines in Karnataka (Lead) - Sep 03, 2012
Tags: aftab, alam, apex, apex court, bellary, chief justice, environment impact assessment, forestry research, icfre, iron and steel, iron ore mining, kapadia, karnataka, leases, mineral development, New Delhi, nmdc, state government, steel industry, terms of reference