Apex court extends stay on Hasan Ali’s bail (Lead)August 25th, 2011 - 11:27 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 25 (IANS) The Supreme Court Thursday extended till Sep 2 its stay on the Bombay High Court order granting bail to alleged money launderer and country’s top tax evader Hasan Ali Khan.
The apex court bench of Justice Altamas Kabir and Justice S.S. Nijjar extended the stay after being told that the curbs imposed on Hasan Ali’s bail were till Aug 26.
The judges passed the order at the end of the second day’s hearing of the central government’s application seeking the recall of the court’s July 4 order.
In that order the court set up a special investigation team (SIT) to probe money laundering.
The court is hearing arguments on the maintainability of the government’s application seeking the recall of the order.
Opposing the application for recall, senior counsel Anil Divan, appearing for petitioner Ram Jethmalani, told the court that an apex court order setting up the SIT could not be recalled merely by moving an application.
The court’s July 4 verdict came on the petition by Jethmalani seeking direction to take steps for bringing back ill-gotten money stashed in tax havens by Indian citizens and the disclosure of the names of such account holders.
Divan said this while having a dig at the investigating agency which he said did nothing ever since it took up the matter for investigation.
He said that the government could not seek the overthrow and setting aside of the verdict by challenging the authority of the court.
- Black money case: Apex court reserves verdict (Lead) - Sep 01, 2011
- Recall black money order, Supreme Court urged - Aug 24, 2011
- Apex court divided on black money SIT - Sep 23, 2011
- Supreme Court to rule Sep 29 on Hasan Ali's bail - Sep 20, 2011
- Hearing on recall of apex court's black money order Aug 24 - Aug 16, 2011
- New bench of apex court to hear 2G review plea - Mar 03, 2012
- Supreme Court to rule Sep 29 on Hasan Ali's bail (Lead) - Sep 20, 2011
- Supreme Court stays Hasan Ali's bail (Second Lead) - Aug 16, 2011
- Consider special team to probe black money abroad: Apex court (Lead) - Mar 18, 2011
- Apex court cancels Hasan Ali's bail - Sep 30, 2011
- Apex court extends curbs on Hasan Ali's bail (Lead) - Aug 18, 2011
- Supreme Court ruling on money laundering probe Monday (Lead) - Jul 02, 2011
- Don't politicise black money case: Apex court - Apr 08, 2011
- Apex court ruling on money laundering probe Monday - Jul 02, 2011
- High-level committee to trail money laundering (Lead) - Apr 25, 2011
Tags: apex, apex court, bombay high court, central government, court bench, curbs, divan, hasan ali khan, indian citizens, investigating agency, investigation team, kabir, maintainability, money launderer, nijjar, petitioner, ram jethmalani, senior counsel, tax evader, tax havens