Apex court allows iron ore export from major Karnataka portsFebruary 11th, 2011 - 2:40 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 11 (IANS) The Supreme Court Friday allowed the export of the iron ore lying at major ports of Karnataka. As the state government had banned the ore’s offshore movement in July 2010 in the wake of widespread allegations of illegal mining, the ore was held up at these ports.An apex court bench of Justice R.V. Raveendran and Justice A.K. Patnaik, meanwhile, told the state government to notify the Karnataka Prevention of Illegal Mining, Transportation and Storage of Minerals Rules by March 31, 2011.
The court said that if the state government fails to notify the said rules by March 31, the iron ore mining companies can move the apex court for interim relief.
The Karnataka government had published the Karnataka Prevention of Illegal Mining, Transportation and Storage of Minerals Rules on Feb 5 this year for inviting objections and suggestions by the public.
The state government by its order July 26 and July 28, 2010, had banned the export of iron ore in the wake of widespread reports of illegal mining. However, the export of iron ore from minor ports of the state will continue to be banned.
- Supreme Court lifts ban on Karnataka iron ore exports (Lead) - Apr 05, 2011
- Apex court allows iron ore export from major Karnataka ports (Lead) - Feb 11, 2011
- Supreme Court asks Karnataka Govt. to allow export of iron ore - Feb 11, 2011
- Supreme Court lifts ban on Karnataka iron ore exports - Apr 05, 2011
- Karnataka court seeks centre's response on iron ore export ban - Sep 24, 2010
- Karnataka mining firms to seek apex court stay on ban order - Nov 19, 2010
- Illegal Karnataka mining: SC tells panel to focus on convictions - Aug 23, 2012
- Want ban on iron ore export, Karnataka tells apex court (Lead) - Apr 21, 2011
- Ensure sustainability, Karnataka's mining industry urged - Jul 05, 2012
- Will cooperate with CBI on probe into iron ore scam: Shettar - Sep 09, 2012
- Karnataka High Court upholds state ban on iron ore exports (Lead) - Nov 19, 2010
- Iron ore mining set to resume in Karnataka (Lead) - Jul 05, 2012
- Centre urges states to curb illegal mining - Oct 01, 2010
- Apex court slams Karnataka on iron ore mining, orders CBI probe (Lead) - Sep 07, 2012
- Apex court slams Karnataka government on iron ore mining - Sep 07, 2012
Tags: allegations, apex, apex court, court bench, interim relief, iron ore mining, karnataka government, minerals, mining companies, minor ports, New Delhi, objections, prevention, raveendran, state government, storage, supreme court