ANZ Bank to outsource New Zealand jobs to IndiaJuly 16th, 2008 - 1:04 pm ICT by IANS
By Neena Bhandari
Sydney, July 16 (IANS) ANZ Bank will move 238 back office jobs from Wellington and Auckland to India. The announcement comes close on the heels of another of Australia’s four leading banks, the National Australia Bank (NAB), announcing the outsourcing of 500 jobs to India by the year-end. ANZ has started a two-week consultation process with workers at the bank’s lending services centre in Auckland and customer transaction service centre in Wellington over sending jobs offshore to India, reports New Zealand Press Association (NZPA).
The news has been condemned by finance workers union Finsec, which Wednesday accused the Australian-owned bank of being greedy as the work is said to be done at a quarter of the cost in India.
Finsec campaigns director Andrew Campbell was quoted by NZPA as saying that 403 workers were told Tuesday that there would be 165 positions in the future, meaning 238 people would either be redeployed or made redundant.
Banks say that jobs are being outsourced to improve efficiency. While some staff are redeployed others are offered redundancy packages.
Other Australian banks that have outsourced IT jobs to India include Westpac, St George and the Commonwealth Bank.
- ANZ jobs axed in New Zealand, some heading to India - Sep 25, 2008
- Australian bank outsources 500 jobs to India - Jul 10, 2008
- Australia's unemployment rate forecast to rise in 2012 - Jan 16, 2012
- Westpac denies reports of jobs going to India - May 01, 2008
- S&P; downgrades ratings on Australia's big four banks - Dec 02, 2011
- Australia's ANZ Banking Group posts $5.5 bn profit - Nov 03, 2011
- New Zealand accountancy firms outsourcing work to India - Apr 10, 2010
- Bank employees to go on strike Aug 22-23 - Aug 21, 2012
- Oz firm Westpac reverses move to end India offshore operations - May 18, 2009
- Australian economic growth set to pick up pace: Report - Oct 19, 2011
- India win second T20 by eight wickets - Feb 03, 2012
- Banking services hit for second day in India (Lead) - Aug 23, 2012
- Charles Li: China's New CEO Of ANZ - Jan 21, 2011
- Vidya Balan retrospective at Indian film fest in Oz - Mar 13, 2011
- Australian economy growing as projected: Survey - Nov 16, 2011
Tags: andrew campbell, anz, auckland, australian banks, bhandari, commonwealth bank, consultation process, customer transaction, india reports, nab, national australia bank, neena, office jobs, redundancy packages, st george, transaction service, wellington, westpac, workers union, year end