Another stimulus package after Jan 31: Kamal NathJanuary 19th, 2009 - 4:26 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 19 (IANS) Maintaining that India will grow by at least 7 percent this fiscal, Commerce Minister Kamal Nath Monday said the government was considering another stimulus package to pump prime the economy. Addressing the “Partnership Summit 2009″ of the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) here, the minister said the falling inflation rate, now at a little over 5 percent, would help unveil another package.
“More stimulus measures may happen after Jan 31,” Kamal Nath told reporters on the margins of the summit, adding that this will happen after the central bank reviews its monetary policy later this month.
“One of our biggest problems was inflation and this has now been addressed. The latest data shows inflation at 5.2 percent. It will come down further,” he said, adding: “We will also grow at 7 percent this year.”
The government had in December announced a major stimulus package to help Indian industry overcome the global economic slowdown and the recession in some rich nations like the US and Japan.
According to the minister, India continued to attract foreign direct investment like never before despite the global slowdown, and that such inflows had doubled to $18.7 billion during the nine month period ended Dec 31.
“India will continue to be a magnet for foreign direct investment.”
He said his government was also paying attention toward infrastructure and keen on getting all the projects executed, especially those under the private-public partnership model.
“India’s exclusive government-owned infrastructure finance company is being armed to bankroll all additional infrastructure projects of $15 billion over the next 18 months.”
- Inflation will slow by March, says Pranab; opposition flays claim (Roundup) - Nov 22, 2011
- Fiscal consolidation key to avoiding double-dip global recession: Manmohan Singh - Jun 27, 2010
- India finalizing economic pact with ASEAN - Nov 19, 2011
- India pledges $10 bn to IMF for Eurozone - Jun 19, 2012
- Policy reform, cuts in government spending required: RBI - Aug 23, 2012
- Prime minister to inaugurate Emerging Kerala summit - Jul 16, 2012
- India pitches for ASEAN pact in services, investments - Jul 11, 2012
- Inflation will remain at same level: Pranab - Apr 17, 2012
- After IT, it's decade of infrastructure in India: Kamal Nath - Mar 24, 2010
- `Brazil withstanding worst year of global crisis' - Aug 31, 2012
- Inflation in China a cause of worry for the West - Mar 03, 2011
- GE chief Immelt lauds Indian entrepreneurship - Sep 26, 2011
- 'India will grow at 7.6 percent, to play active global role' (Roundup) - Mar 15, 2012
- India is a profitable business opportunity, PM tells Korean CEOs (Lead) - Mar 26, 2012
- Anand Sharma to inaugurate India show in Ethiopia - May 18, 2011
Tags: commerce minister, confederation of indian industry, finance company, foreign direct investment, global economic slowdown, global slowdown, inflation rate, infrastructure finance, infrastructure projects, jan 19, kamal nath, margins, monetary policy, New Delhi, partnership model, partnership summit, paying attention, private public partnership, recession, stimulus package