Angry farmers take on police at ExpresswaySeptember 13th, 2012 - 9:09 pm ICT by IANS
Agra, Sep 13 (IANS) If you are taking the Yamuna Expressway in the hope of reaching Agra in 90 minutes from Delhi, be prepared to take the U-turn and find another route.
Furious farmers whose land has been acquired for a township are out in strength, ready to block the expressway.
The Yamuna Expressway stretch near Kuberpur in Agra Wednesday turned into a battle zone, with police and groups of farmers exchanging blows. Stones were pelted in the melee, and rubber bullet shots were fired.
The drama continued till late evening, until those arrested were released. Authorities promised protesting farmers that their case would be pleaded at a higher level.
Manoj Sharma, convener of the Kisan Sangharsh Samiti, told IANS Thursday: “The Jaypee group has promoted a township called Wish Town on farmland. The farmers have no desire to sell their land.”
He said the Allahabad High Court had granted a stay and asked the Uttar Pradesh government to reply to notices.
“But the promoters on Wednesday began the sale of plots, enraging the farmers,” said Sharma.
Groups of farmers turned up on the Expressway and sat on dharna. This led to suspension of traffic.
Vehicles were either sent back or told to take a diversion to reach Agra. Police used lathis and rubber bullets to disperse the mobs. Many of the protesters were arrested.
Samajwadi Party leader Ram Shakl Gujjar assured the farmers that their case would be strongly pleaded in Lucknow and a solution would be worked out.
Traffic on the Yamuna Expressway was suspended for more than three hours.
The protestors said they were beaten up and accused police of working at the behest of Wish Town promoters.
Hundreds of farmers with their tractors moved towards the Expressway Wednesday evening after learning of police firing and the arrest of their leaders.
- Farmers protest as Yamuna Expressway opens - Aug 09, 2012
- Agra incident-free, farmers continue stir (Lead) - Aug 18, 2010
- Agra farmers write petition in blood - Sep 01, 2010
- Villagers demand toll tax waiver at Yamuna Expressway - Aug 16, 2012
- Yamuna Expressway awaits Akhilesh nod (With Image) - Mar 21, 2012
- Farmers' stage protests, burn vehicles in Agra - Aug 25, 2010
- Delhi-Agra run cut by half as Yamuna Expressway opens (Lead) - Aug 09, 2012
- Agra-Lucknow Expressway to be eco-friendly - Apr 04, 2012
- Agra incident-free, farmers refuse to relent - Aug 18, 2010
- Jaypee's expressway to Taj cuts run from Delhi to 150 minutes (Roundup) - Aug 09, 2012
- Farmers' stir: More forces deployed in Agra - May 09, 2011
- Yamuna Expressway opens, cutting Delhi-Agra run to 150 minutes - Aug 09, 2012
- Uttar Pradesh farmers refuse to relent, crisis continues (Roundup) - Aug 18, 2010
- Opposition homes in to isolate BSP in farmers' agitation (News Analysis) - Aug 19, 2010
- Sombre I-Day for Agra, Mathura, Aligarh farmers - Aug 15, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,