Android to capture 49 percent of market by 2012April 8th, 2011 - 6:31 am ICT by IANS
New York, April 8 (IANS) Google’s Android will become the most popular smartphone operating system and will account for 49 percent of the market by 2012, a research firm has said.
According to projections by information-technology firm Gartner, worldwide smartphone sales will reach 468 million units in 2011, a 57.7 percent increase from 2010, Xinhua reported.
The company predicts that Apple’s iOS will remain the second biggest platform worldwide through 2014 although its share will decrease slightly after 2011.
Microsoft’s Windows, driven by its partnership with Nokia, is expected to become the third largest in the worldwide ranking by 2013.
- Apple's market share growth pauses - Aug 15, 2012
- Android, iOS power 85 percent of smartphones shipped - Aug 09, 2012
- Microsoft Slate With Windows Will Be Available By Christmas - Oct 06, 2010
- Android phones more desired in US than iPhone or BlackBerry: Report - Apr 27, 2011
- Apple, Google, RIM neck-and-neck in smart phone market - Mar 04, 2011
- China's smartphone firms warned of patent disputes - Apr 15, 2012
- Windows 8 heads to computer manufacturers - Aug 02, 2012
- Indian mobile handsets market grows 10 percent in 2011 - Mar 01, 2012
- Year of tech, tweets, tablets and telecom (2011 in Retrospect) - Dec 27, 2011
- Apple beats Google in US smartphone market - Jan 26, 2012
- Google buys Quickoffice - Jun 06, 2012
- Google Android smart phones top as Nokia, BlackBerry sink - Jun 01, 2011
- Steve Wozniak: Android will beat iOS - Nov 18, 2010
- Facebook smartphone to be 'released next year' - May 28, 2012
- Google launches 'cloud' service - Apr 25, 2012