Andhra Pradesh allocates Rs.20 mn for Christian pilgrimsFebruary 16th, 2008 - 9:15 pm ICT by admin
Hyderabad, Feb 16 (IANS) Andhra Pradesh has allotted Rs.20 million to subsidise travel for Christians who want to visit holy sites in Israel, according to the state budget presented here Saturday. Finance minister K. Rosaiah allocated the amount for ‘Christian pilgrimage’ in his budget for 2008-09.
Governor N.D. Tiwari, in his address to the joint budget session of the assembly and the council Monday, announced the government would offer subsidies to Christian pilgrims on the lines of the Haj subsidy for Muslims.
In an attempt to woo minorities before the next year’s elections, the government also allocated R.50 million for conducting mass marriages of poor girls of minorities.
Stating that the government was committed to the welfare of minorities, Rosaiah allocated Rs.50 million for repairs to mosques and churches.
The finance minister also enhanced the overall allocation for minorities’ welfare from Rs.1.2 billion in 2007-08 to Rs.1.77 billion in 2008-09.
Minorities account for about 12 percent of the state’s 77 million population. Off this, Christians account for nearly two percent.
The subsidy for Christian pilgrims is the first of its kind being offered by any state government. Incidentally, Chief Minister Y.S. Rajsekhara Reddy is also a Christian.
- Haj subsidy to end in 10 years, rules Supreme Court (Roundup) - May 08, 2012
- India pays Rs.600 crore as Haj subsidy annually - May 08, 2012
- 125,000 pilgrims to be covered under Haj subsidy - Jul 20, 2012
- Fertiliser subsidies not improving production: Official auditor - Aug 05, 2011
- Government to meet Muslim MPs on Haj facility reforms - Feb 24, 2011
- Raise UP's quota of Haj pilgrims: Akhilesh - Jun 21, 2012
- Muslim clerics, leaders welcome apex court ruling on Haj (Lead) - May 08, 2012
- Three Indian Haj pilgrims die - Oct 07, 2011
- Govt. to call Muslim MPs soon to decide Haj pilgrimage arrangements - Feb 24, 2011
- Tax-free, revenue surplus budget for Andhra Pradesh - Jul 24, 2009
- First batch of Christian pilgrims from Andhra leaves for Jerusalem - Nov 25, 2008
- Tax-free surplus vote-on-account for Andhra Pradesh - Feb 05, 2009
- Remove Haj subsidy in 10 years, SC tells government (Third Lead) - May 08, 2012
- Good if government quashes Haj subsidy, say leading Muslims - Apr 10, 2010
- Christmas celebrated with fervour in Tamil Nadu - Dec 25, 2011
Tags: 50 million, budget session, chief minister, christian pilgrimage, christian pilgrims, christians, churches, finance minister, haj subsidy, hyderabad, minorities, mosques, muslims, poor girls, rs 1, state budget, state government, subsidies, subsidise, welfare