Andhra allots land for Rs.60 bn power plant equipment unitJune 11th, 2009 - 5:20 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, June 11 (IANS) Andhra Pradesh cabinet Thursday approved setting up of a power plant equipment unit in Chittoor district and allotted 750 acres of land for the same.
NTPC-BHEL Power Projects Private Limited (NBPPL), a joint venture between the National Thermal Power Corporation Limited (NTPC) and Bharat Heavy Electricals Ltd (BHEL), will establish the unit at Mannavaram village near the temple town of Srikalahasti with an investment of Rs.60 billion (Rs.6,000 crore).
The first meeting of the cabinet after the Congress party retained power in the state decided to allot the land for the mega project at a nominal cost of Rs.100 per acre.
Information and Public Relations Minister J. Geeta Reddy told reporters after the cabinet meeting that the cabinet approved the proposal for land allotment for the project, which would provide direct employment to 6,000 people and indirect employment to about 30,000 people.
The meeting presided over by Chief Minister Y.S. Rajasekhara Reddy also decided to invite Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to lay the foundation stone for the project.
Reddy said it was a matter of pride for the state to receive the second biggest investment in the state through a public sector undertaking after the Visakhapatnam steel plant.
The state bagged the project last month in face of competition from West Bengal and Maharashtra.
The cabinet also approved a proposal for setting up a veterinary college at Produttur in Kadapa, the native district of the chief minister in Rayalaseema region. The cabinet also allotted 117 acres of land for the college.
The chief minister also decided to review the development programmes in every district. This process will start June 22 from Srikakulam district.
- PM to lay foundation stone for NTPC-BHEL project Wednesday - Aug 29, 2010
- PM lays foundation of NTPC-BHEL power equipment plant - Sep 01, 2010
- PM to lay foundation stone of NTPC-BHEL power plant in Tirupati - Sep 01, 2010
- PM lays foundation stone for NTPC-BHEL power plant - Sep 01, 2010
- PM to lay foundation stone for Andra power equipment plant - Aug 31, 2009
- More power needed for sustained economic growth, says PM (Lead) - Sep 01, 2010
- Availability of affordable power critical for India's development: PM - Sep 01, 2010
- PM puts off Andhra Pradesh visit to Sep 16-17 - Sep 01, 2009
- Andhra allots 1,000 acres for Prism Cement plant - Oct 29, 2011
- Infosys, TCS to generate 20,000 jobs in Madhya Pradesh - Dec 28, 2011
- Andhra inks MoUs for Rs.6.5 lakh crore investment (Lead) - Jan 13, 2012
- Tamil Nadu scraps power joint venture, BHEL surprised (Lead) - Feb 24, 2012
- Andhra minister arrested in Jagan graft case (Second Lead) - May 24, 2012
- Andhra axes mining lease to YSR's son-in-law - Jun 11, 2012
- Andhra minister arrested in Jagan graft case (Third Lead) - May 24, 2012
Tags: bharat heavy electricals ltd, cabinet meeting, chief minister, congress party, geeta, indirect employment, land allotment, manmohan singh, matter of pride, mega project, ntpc, power projects, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, public sector undertaking, rs 6, temple town, veterinary college, visakhapatnam steel plant, west bengal