Anand Mahindra gets global leadership awardJune 13th, 2012 - 10:58 am ICT by IANS
Washington, June 13 (IANS) Anand Mahindra, vice chairman & managing director of Mahindra Group, and Alan Mulally, president & CEO, Ford Motor Company, have been honoured with Global Leadership Awards for their outstanding contributions to the US-India growth story.
The Indian and US business leaders were given the awards at the 37th anniversary leadership summit of the US-India Business Council (USIBC) comprising about 350 top US and Indian companies.
The Mahindra Group continues to invest heavily in the American agricultural sector. Since starting Mahindra USA in 1994, the company has grown 20 times over and sold over 10,000 tractors. More than 90 percent of their employees in this enterprise are American, USIBC said.
Ford Motor Company has recently laid the foundation stone for its new $906 million manufacturing facility in Sanand, Gujarat.
The plant, to be operational in 2014, will produce 240,000 Ford automobiles and 270,000 engines a year. This is in addition to Fords’ already expansive operations in Chennai.
The USIBC Global Leadership Awards underscore the USIBC’s appreciation of the importance for deepening manufacturing collaboration between the world’s largest free-market democracies, the trade group said.
USIBC’s new Indian American chairman, Ajay Banga, MasterCard Worldwide President & CEO, speaking of “India’s miraculous economic rise since its liberalisation in 1991,” called on both nations to push for a Bilateral Investment Treaty.
“Thinking big, I propose that we begin thinking beyond a Bilateral Investment Treaty to a Free Trade Arrangement. That would be a real game-changer,” said Banga, who Tuesday took over from Harold “Terry” McGraw III, President, & CEO of The McGraw-Hill Companies.
(Arun Kumar can be contacted at email@example.com)
- MasterCard's Ajay Banga to head USIBC - Apr 16, 2012
- Be part of India's growth story, US business urged - Jun 24, 2011
- India needs to make 'tough choices': Ajay Banga - Apr 24, 2012
- India has a very powerful prime minister: Mukherjee - Apr 22, 2012
- US-India business conclave to boost commercial ties - Jun 20, 2011
- No leadership vacuum in India, says Pranab - Apr 23, 2012
- McGraw Hill chief to head India-US trade body - Mar 30, 2010
- US-India trade group pushes for BIT - Jun 26, 2012
- US-India trade group vows to strengthen business ties - Sep 15, 2011
- Corporate America seeks a bold India budget - Mar 14, 2012
- US business pleased with Obama's approach to trade with India - Nov 07, 2010
- US Ex-Im Bank director joins India-US trade body - Jul 28, 2011
- Krishna to address US high-powered industry meet - May 30, 2010
- Over 200 top chief executives coming with Obama - Oct 29, 2010
- Corporate America seeks reforms, says budget not game-changing - Mar 17, 2012
Tags: agricultural sector, ajay banga, alan mulally, arun kumar, bilateral investment treaty, economic rise, ford automobiles, ford motor, ford motor company, foundation stone, global leadership, india business, leadership award, leadership awards, leadership summit, mahindra group, mahindra usa, mcgraw hill companies, real game, usibc