American Airlines may cut 13,000 jobsFebruary 2nd, 2012 - 2:20 pm ICT by IANS
Houston, Feb 2 (IANS) US carrier American Airlines said Wednesday that it wants to eliminate 13,000 jobs as it seeks to cut labour costs by 20 percent.
The announcement was made after the Texas-based company had a meeting with representatives of its three biggest unions, according to The New York Times.
American Airlines said the move would reduce its overall costs by $2 billion a year, reported Xinhua.
The planned job cuts would amount to 16 percent of the company’s work force of more than 80,000. Of the total job cuts, 4,600 would be mechanics jobs, 4,200 ground service positions, 2,300 flight attendants and 400 pilots. Another 1,400 jobs would be cut in management and support services, according to NYT.
American Airline parent AMR is the latest of several large US airlines to go through bankruptcy in an effort to reduce costs and debt.
In a letter to employees, American Airlines CEO Thomas W. Horton said the company had lost its competitive edge over the years.
“The world has changed around us and this is our moment to adapt or lose the opportunity forever,” he said. “Our industry is now defined by the changes our competitors made in restructuring to secure their futures, and the landscape is littered with those airlines that failed to change.”
- American Airlines orders 460 new planes from Boeing and Airbus - Jul 20, 2011
- Chipmaker AMD to cut workforce - Nov 04, 2011
- Patel rejects airlines proposal for fare hike (Lead) - Dec 03, 2010
- Flight attendants urged to boycott 'ridiculous, insulting beauty contest' - May 02, 2011
- Now planes can operate from Chandigarh despite fog - Jan 11, 2011
- Mexican airline to eliminate half of workforce - Sep 29, 2010
- Obama assures to bring jobs back to US - Jan 15, 2012
- Danish airline files for bankruptcy - May 04, 2012
- Japan Airlines to slash 15,600 jobs - Jan 11, 2010
- Airlines propose huge hike in ticket prices - Dec 03, 2010
- Praful Patel says, new fares suggested by airlines can't be justified - Dec 03, 2010
- General Motors to cut about 9,000 jobs in Europe - Nov 25, 2009
- Air India's fuel credit limit extended: Ravi - Aug 18, 2011
- Air India defers pilot training to stave off strike - Nov 02, 2011
- AI looking for new routes, says Ravi - Aug 20, 2011
Tags: American Airline, american airlines, amr, bankruptcy, ceo, competitive edge, feb 2, flight attendants, futures, job cuts, jobs, labour costs, landscape, mechanics, new york times, nyt, restructuring, service positions, unions, xinhua