Ambuja shelves retail business expansion as slowdown bitesMarch 8th, 2009 - 6:38 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, March 8 (IANS) City-based Ambuja Realty has shelved plans to expand its retail business due to the global economic slowdown, a top official said.
Ambuja Realty chairman Harshavardhan Neotia said the company had shelved its plan to open 30-40 more outlets of its food and beverages retail venture, Tea Junction, given the deteriorating economic scenario.
“There is no break-through future plan. Earlier we believed Kolkata and Greater Kolkata can take at least 30-40 more outlets. But now we have not put a number to it,” Neotia told IANS.
At present, Ambuja has 16 Tea Junction outlets in the city.
“Let’s do the business properly, then we will look into expansion,” he added.
On the company’s healthcare business, Neotia said its project with Israeli healthcare major Elbit was on hold because “we could not get a large piece of land in the heart of the city”.
Keeping in mind the increasing demand for quality healthcare in the country, Ambuja has joined hands with Elbit to develop and operate a chain of multi-specialty tertiary hospitals in India.
Asked how the company fared in 2008-09, Neotia said: “It was actually a project year for us, profit will be accruing from next year onwards. May be now we will have much less profits than we anticipated.”
- Ambuja Realty plans luxury hotels in Darjeeling (Lead) - Jul 27, 2008
- Ambuja Realty plans three hotels in north Bengal - Jul 27, 2008
- Bengal Inc happy at Pranab set to be next president - Jun 15, 2012
- Ambuja Realty plans Rs.1,065 crore investment - Mar 11, 2010
- Ambuja Realty opens City Centre II in Kolkata - Sep 19, 2009
- 'Ecospace' business park inaugurated in Kolkata - Sep 24, 2009
- Advent invests $105 million in CARE Hospitals - Apr 02, 2012
- Mamata hosts dinner for industrialists - Oct 18, 2011
- Spencer's eyeing profit of Rs.20 per sq ft - Feb 10, 2011
- Bengal industrialists hail Trinamool Congress-Congress win - May 13, 2011
- Diana Tea eyes 10-15 percent turnover growth - Jun 23, 2012
- Ambuja Realty to unveil three projects this year despite slowdown - Mar 09, 2009
- Bata to focus on women and kids segment - May 30, 2012
- Best Foods to tie up with hotel chains for more business - Apr 19, 2012
- Maiden Swiss foray into India's hospitality sector - Sep 09, 2009
Tags: business expansion, economic scenario, elbit, food and beverages, global economic slowdown, healthcare business, heart of the city, hospitals in india, profits, quality healthcare, retail business, retail venture, shelved plans, shelves, tea, tertiary hospitals