Amazon sells over 4 mn Kindle devices in DecemberDecember 30th, 2011 - 7:27 am ICT by IANS
San Francisco, Dec 30 (IANS) Amazon announced Thursday that it has sold over one million Kindle devices per week throughout December, making 2011 the best holiday shopping season ever for the e-reader family.
In a press release, the e-commerce giant said the Kindle family, including the Kindle Fire, Kindle Touch and Kindle, held the top three spots on its best seller list, reports Xinhua.
Kindle Fire, the tablet introduced 13 weeks ago, is the No.1 best-selling, most gifted and most wished-for product on Amazon.com.
Compared to the same period of last year, gifting of Kindle e-books was up 175 percent between the Black Friday, or the day following Thanksgiving Day in the US, and Christmas Day, said the company.
“We are grateful to our customers worldwide for making this the best holiday ever for Kindle,” said Jeff Bezos, Amazon.com founder and CEO.
With a much affordable price and backed by Amazon’s content and commerce assets, the Kindle Fire has been considered one of the most promising candidates to shake the dominance of Apple’s iPad in the tablet market.
According to market research company Forrester, Amazon is expected to sell around five million Kindle Fire tablets this year.
- Amazon sells over one mn Kindles per week - Dec 16, 2011
- Amazon.com Presents 'Kindle' Worth $139 As Its Rivalry Against Apple Intensifies - Jul 30, 2010
- Amazon introduces new Kindle e-reader, HD tablet - Sep 07, 2012
- E-books outsell hardbacks on Amazon - Jul 21, 2010
- Kindle ebooks outsell paperbacks - Jan 31, 2011
- Kindle outsells print versions of books - May 20, 2011
- Kindle best-selling gadget in Britain, US - Jan 01, 2011
- Amazon sells 3.9 mn tablets in Q4 2011 - Feb 17, 2012
- US sues Apple over e-book price fixing scheme - Apr 12, 2012
- Harry Potter eBooks come to Amazon Kindle library - May 11, 2012
- eBook pirates cash in on Kindle boom - Jan 02, 2012
- Digital textbooks and e-readers all set to revolutionize education - Sep 17, 2010
- Amazon.com's fourth quarter sales surge 42 percent - Jan 29, 2010
- Google Initiates eBooks To Compete Against Its Rival, Amazon - Dec 08, 2010
- Is e-reader sounding paperback's death knell? - Apr 13, 2012
Tags: assets, best seller list, black friday, ceo, christmas day, dominance, e books, e reader, forrester, holiday shopping, ipad, jeff bezos amazon, market research company, one million, Press Release, promising candidates, tablet market, thanksgiving, thanksgiving day, xinhua