All-woman staff man Hajipur railway station in BiharMarch 9th, 2008 - 5:38 pm ICT by admin
Hajipur (Bihar), March 9 (IANS) An all-woman team of women Railway officials made history here Saturday when the entire operation of the Hajipur railway station in Bihar was handed over to them. A day later Sunday, operations began smoothly at the railway station.
“We are happy and upbeat. It is a big opportunity for us to prove that an all-women’s team of officials is not inferior to an all-man’s team as far as rail operation are concerned,” said Kusum Kumari. She is posted as the assistant station master at Hajipur railway station of the Sonepur division of East Central Railway, about 30 km from Patna.
She said that they were confident of performing their duty with accountability and full responsibility. “We are thankful to the top brass of the Indian Railways for showing confidence in us,” said Kusum, standing upright in her railway station master’s dress.
Revati Kumari, another member of the all-woman rail operation team at the station, said it was a new beginning not only for them but also for women as a whole.
“It was a bold decision of the Railways when they handed over entire rail operation to an all-woman’s team,” Revati told IANS.
Similarly Asha Devi and Ginni Kumari, both traffic porters, said they would not disappoint the passengers and will try to give their hundred percent to perform duty.
Chief Public Relation officer of East Central Railway A.K. Chandra said that right from assistant station master to train ticket collector, from traffic porter to reservation supervisor, the entire operations at the station was under the control of women.
The Railways have deployed security forces, including RPF personnel, to keep watch on troublemakers, if any.
- Bihar gets its first all-women police station - Jan 23, 2012
- IAF's women skydivers jump to fame - Oct 08, 2011
- Maoists blow up railway track in Bihar - Feb 11, 2011
- High security along Kashmir rail track - Mar 09, 2011
- Rail blockade to disrupt train movement in Telangana - Feb 28, 2011
- Shutdown in Kerala town to mourn death of woman thrown off train - Feb 07, 2011
- CPI-ML's anti-corruption strike affects passengers - Aug 27, 2011
- Goods train derails in Bihar; no casualties - Jul 13, 2012
- Maoists damage rail tracks in Bihar - May 07, 2010
- Train fire accident to be probed - Nov 22, 2011
- Passenger train derails, no casualties - May 03, 2011
- Himachal village unanimously elects all-woman panchayat - Dec 16, 2010
- Railway constable held for rape - Sep 06, 2012
- Three railway cops held for abducting tourist (Third Lead) - May 03, 2011
- Power crisis now trips 22 states, 600 million people hit (Second Lead) - Jul 31, 2012
Tags: accountability, bold decision, central railway, confidence, ginni, indian railways, k chandra, kumari, patna, porters, public relation officer, railway officials, railway station, revati, security forces, supervisor, ticket collector, top brass, troublemakers, woman team