All village panchayats to have broadband in 18 months: PitrodaJanuary 7th, 2011 - 6:03 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 7 (IANS) All 250,000 village panchayats in the country will be connected with broadband by mid-2012 under a $4-billion project to take the benefits of technology to the poor, tech evangelist Sam Pitroda said Friday.”I can assure you that in 18 months every village panchayat will have broadband. It will significantly change the way we deal with people in villages,” Pitroda, who also serves as the prime minister’s advisor on innovation, told a diaspora convention here.
The network will be provided by the federal government and it will be the responsibility of village panchayats to run, maintain and properly utilise it, he said. “Each panchayat will employ two people. They will be paid by the panchayats.”
Some 100,000 village panchayats already have broadband connectivity in India that not only ensures faster communications but also allows applications like tele-medicine, timely weather forecasts and remote consultations on crops, soil, nutrients and marketing.
Pitrods was speaking on the inaugural day of the 9th Pravasi Bharatiya Divas here.
- India asks diaspora to invest in land of 'new opportunities' (Roundup) - Jan 07, 2011
- India's tech-driven citizen engagement left Obama impressed (Roundup) - Nov 07, 2010
- Five Indian ministers at Toronto's mini-PBD - May 30, 2011
- Gujarat tech city project not just about real estate: Pitroda - Jan 13, 2011
- Vayalar skips, Preneet Kaur to lead India at Pravasi Divas - Jun 08, 2011
- Mobile banking will change banking in India: Pitroda - Jul 19, 2010
- Festive mood in Rajasthan village that spoke to Obama - Nov 07, 2010
- India's diaspora conclave concludes with honours, outreach (Roundup) - Jan 09, 2011
- Contest for NRIs to attend Pravasi Bharatiya Divas - Dec 16, 2011
- Kerala development model is sustainable: Experts - Sep 12, 2012
- Obama interacts with Ajmer farmers through video conferencing - Nov 07, 2010
- National Optical Fiber network to be set up: Sibal - Jul 22, 2011
- India's knowledge sector great opportunity for NRIs: Pitroda - Jan 08, 2010
- India needs 100 million broadband connections, says Pitroda - Mar 17, 2010
- Government to invest $100 bn on education in 12th plan - Jan 07, 2011
Tags: benefits of technology, connectivity, consultations, crops, evangelist, federal government, India, innovation, jan 7, marketing, medicine, New Delhi, pravasi bharatiya divas, prime minister, sam pitroda, soil nutrients, tele medicine, timely weather, village panchayat, weather forecasts