Alcohol consumption drops in RussiaDecember 29th, 2011 - 8:02 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, Dec 29 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Russia has seen a fall in alcohol sales over the past two years from 18 liters to 15 liters per capita a year, a minister said.
In an interview with the Rossiiskaya Gazeta daily published Wednesday, First Deputy Prime Minister V. Zubkov attributed the drop to restrictions that have been enforced recently.
Illicit vodka sales have also fallen and now account for a little over 20 percent, he said.
“Of course this level is far from satisfactory but remember that just a couple years ago it was almost 50 percent,” Zubkov said.
The restrictions already in force include a ban on late-night sales of alcohol, and in an effort to fight bootlegging, Russia has introduced a minimum price for vodka.
The Russian government has declared an anti-alcohol campaign and aims to halve consumption by 2020 and root out illegal production and sales.
Official statistics in Russia show more than 23,000 people die of alcohol poisoning annually. According to Russia’s Public Chamber, some 500,000 people die annually from alcohol-related diseases.
Despite the latest decline, alcohol consumption in Russia is almost double the critical level set by the World Health Organization.
- Alcohol consumption in Russia is double WHO limit - Nov 12, 2010
- 30,000 bottles of fake vodka seized in Russia - Jun 27, 2012
- Moscow set to curb drinking, have less liquor stores - May 06, 2012
- Russians need good wine, not vodka : Medvedev - Aug 23, 2011
- Depressurised plane makes emergency landing in Russia - Jan 24, 2012
- No restrictions for tourists in Egypt - Jun 30, 2012
- Russia to spend $44 bn on Arctic projects - Apr 06, 2012
- Vodka prices set for 30 percent hike in Russia - May 30, 2012
- Medvedev approves Russian-US plutonium disposal deal - Jun 07, 2011
- Medvedev signs bill classifying beer as alcohol - Jul 20, 2011
- Foreigners involved in 20 percent of Moscow murders - Nov 23, 2011
- Putin top campaign spender - Mar 02, 2012
- Russian firm to name alcoholic drink after Gaddafi - Nov 23, 2011
- Four Russian sailors die of poisoning in Indonesia - Jun 24, 2011
- Russia sets minimum price for vodka - Jan 01, 2010
Tags: alcohol consumption, alcohol poisoning, alcohol related diseases, alcohol sales, bootlegging, capita, critical level, deputy prime minister, gazeta, illegal production, late night, liters, official statistics, ria novosti russia, russia moscow, russian government, snb, vodka sales, world health organization, zubkov