Alcatel bags $150 mn contract from Unitech WirelessMay 15th, 2009 - 10:20 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 15 (IANS) French telecom infrastructure firm Alcatel-Lucent Friday said it had bagged a $150 million contract from Unitech Wireless to support its launch of GSM operations.
Unitech Wireless is a joint venture between real estate major Unitech Ltd and Norwegian telecom giant Telenor.
Under the contract, Alcatel-Lucent will build Unitech Wireless’ network and offer a range of services including project management, network design, integration, testing and installation, a joint statement issued by the companies said.
The French firm will also deploy and maintain its multi-standard GSM/EDGE radio access solution for a period of five years.
Unitech Wireless has licences to operate in all 22 circles in India. The company is yet to launch its services.
“We look forward to launching our services in Kerala and Orissa and meeting the growing demand for mobile services in India. We are confidence that their solution and local services capabilities make Alcatel-Lucent a good choice for Unitech,” said Rohit Chandra, chief operating officer Unitech Wireless.
Earlier, Unitech had given the Indian arm of Chinese telecom network equipment major Huawei Technologies a contract worth about $400 million to deploy the end-to-end telecom network in three circles in southern India - Karnataka, Tamil Nadu and Andhra Pradesh.
- Telcordia bags five-year deal from Unitech Wireless - Jun 29, 2009
- Telenor given green signal to up stake in Unitech (Lead) - Oct 19, 2009
- Unitech Wireless secures Rs.5,000 crore loan from SBI - Aug 18, 2009
- Percept Knorigin inks deal with Alcatel Lucent to provide digital content - Jun 01, 2011
- Arun Seth named chairman of Alcatel-Lucent in India - Jul 06, 2011
- Huawei to manage Bharti Airtel's 4G network in Karnataka - May 01, 2012
- Telenor in talks with domestic firms to continue India service - Apr 20, 2012
- Bharti Airtel signs network expansion deal with Huawei - Jun 01, 2011
- Telenor asks Sanjay Chandra to step down as Unitech Wireless chief - Apr 20, 2011
- Telenor won't quit India, Norway monitoring situation - Feb 03, 2012
- 1.7 mn GSM subscribers in India, Uninor loses 1.1 mn - Aug 16, 2012
- India adds 1.7 mn GSM subscribers, Uninor loses 1.1 mn (Lead, Correcting headline) - Aug 16, 2012
- Telenor plans Rs.2,000 crore investment in India - Apr 21, 2012
- Uninor eyes 8 percent market share by 2018 - Jun 01, 2010
- Unitech moves company law board against Telenor - Oct 11, 2011
Tags: access solution, alcatel lucent, contract worth, design integration, edge radio, french firm, french telecom, gsm edge, huawei technologies, including project, indian arm, infrastructure firm, integration testing, norwegian telecom, rohit chandra, southern india, tamil nadu, telecom infrastructure, telecom network, unitech ltd