Al-Qaeda in Iraq weakened but not vanquishedNovember 12th, 2008 - 3:34 pm ICT by ANI
Baghdad, Nov 12 (ANI): Analysts in Iraq have said that Al-Qaeda jihadists were weakened but may regain influence in the country, especially if integration of the anti-Qaeda Sahwa forces into Iraq’’s security structure proves to be unsuccessful.
The recently begun process of transferring supervision of the Sahwa (Awakening) groups from the US military to the Iraqi government is the key issue, according to Mohammed al-Masri, of the University of Jordan Centre for Strategic Studies.
The inclusion of these Sahwa tribes in the security apparatus is the question. If they are able do to this swiftly and quickly, Al-Qaeda in Iraq (AQI) will be even more limited. If they don”t do it, these tribes can go back to revive AQI all over again. They can reinvent themselves as AQI-like organisations, The News quoted al-Masri as telling the media.
Al-Qaeda supporters have been hunted down by Iraqi and US forces as well as by tribal militias, and in some areas of Iraq have been defeated or have simply fled.
However, elsewhere they are regrouping or forming sleeper cells awaiting better days, analysts believe. They are no longer a menace at the political level. They have become a problem that we can manage, said Abdel Karim Khalaf, spokesman for the Iraqi Interior Ministry.
He said that the enrolment of the Sahwa tribal militias in several provinces alongside the American army and Iraqi police has been a determining factor. (ANI)
- Al-Qaeda's second-in-command praises militant leaders killed in Iraq - May 25, 2010
- 43 killed in Baghdad suicide bombing - Jul 18, 2010
- Al Qaeda in Iraq confirms deaths of its leaders - Apr 25, 2010
- 20 held in Egypt for attacks on police - Aug 19, 2011
- Five Iraqi soldiers killed in separate attacks - Sep 05, 2012
- 30 Al Qaeda suspects arrested in Yemen - Jul 17, 2010
- 40 killed in suicide attacks in Iraq (Lead) - Jul 18, 2010
- Two Al Qaeda leaders killed in Iraqi-US operation - Apr 20, 2010
- Suspected Al-Qaeda leader arrested in west Mosul, Iraq - Jun 10, 2010
- 40 killed in Iraq, suicide attackers had Down Syndrome (Second Lead) - Jul 18, 2010
- Bin Laden's deputy lauds slain Al Qaeda leaders - May 21, 2010
- Al-Qaeda in Iraq member and eight associates arrested - Apr 27, 2010
- Suspected al-Qaeda in Iraq member captured - Jun 04, 2010
- Iraqi Security Forces arrest four al-Qaeda in Iraq associates - May 13, 2010
- Al-Qaeda in Iraq leader and three suspected terrorists captured - May 18, 2010
Tags: abdel karim, al masri, al qaeda, al qaeda in iraq, american army, aqi, baghdad, better days, interior ministry, iraqi government, iraqi police, jihadists, karim khalaf, media al, mohammed, security apparatus, security structure, strategic studies, tribal militias, university of jordan