Akbar Padamsee to lead Sotheby’s Asian art saleFebruary 18th, 2011 - 4:31 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 18 (IANS) British auction house Sotheby’s sale of Indian and Southeast Asian art in New York March 25 will be led by an important art work by artist Akbar Padamsee.Padamsee’s art work, “Untitled (Reclining Nude)”, is one of the highlights of Sotheby’s Asia Week series of auctions in New York, carrying an estimated price of $700,000, a statement issued here Friday said.
It was acquired by a private collector from the artist over 50 years ago and has never before appeared at an auction.
Sotheby’s had presented the painting to collectors at the recent Indian Art Summit in the capital, allowing it to return to India for the first time since 1960.
It will be on view at Sotheby’s in New York from March 18, 2011.
“Untitled (Reclining Nude)” was executed in 1960 when the artist produced few paintings and worked in shades of grey. It was exhibited in the Museum of Modern Art in Montreal the same year. The monotone of the work that will be on sale gives the nude a subtle layer that is in contrast to the rich colour palette of his early paintings, a spokesperson for the auction house said.
Described by the artist as one of his “best paintings”, it is one of the three large format paintings from his Juhu series.
Born in 1928, Padamsee, a graduate from the JJ School of Art in Mumbai lives and works in Mumbai. He is known for his abstract “Cityscape” and “Metascape” series.
- Munch's 'The Scream' sold for record $119 million at U.S. art auction - May 03, 2012
- Four private Indian art archives from US on sale at Sotheby's - Aug 09, 2012
- Asian art seeing a resurgence in global market - Sep 18, 2012
- Tyeb Mehta, Khoj, Pakistani art to lead Christie's Asian sale (With Image) - May 30, 2012
- Mapping 300 years of Indian landscape art with 385 art works (With Images) - Aug 09, 2012
- Tyeb Mehta, Souza lead auction stakes at Christie's - May 26, 2011
- Contemporary masters on paper in Saffronart auction - Jul 05, 2011
- "Playboy" To Auction Its Art Collection In December - Nov 09, 2010
- Picasso sets new art auction record: $106.5 mn - May 05, 2010
- Mehta, Husain highlights of Sotheby's New York sale (With Image) - Aug 21, 2009
- Slice of Mughal history on sale at Sotheby's - Oct 30, 2011
- 12 Tagore art works to be auctioned at Sotheby's - May 17, 2010
- Modigliani's nude painting fetches record $69m at auction - Nov 04, 2010
- Raza painting to be sold by Sotheby's (With Image) - Mar 19, 2012
- Art auction market witnessing new generation of buyers (With Images) - Jul 11, 2012
Tags: art work, asia week, auction house, cityscape, colour palette, indian art, march 25, montreal, museum of modern art, New Delhi, padamsee, painting, paintings, private collector, rich colour, school of art, shades of grey, sotheby s, southeast asian art, spokesperson