Airtel to invest $25 million in MalawiJune 22nd, 2012 - 9:33 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 22 (IANS) Indian telephony major Bharti Airtel said Friday it will invest $25 million in Malawi to develop a 3G network and introduce a mobile commerce service, Airtel Money.
“Our investment of $25 million in the development of the 3G network and introduction of Airtel Money are a clear demonstration of our commitment to deepen our network and bridge the digital divide,” Manoj Kohli, chief executive officer (international) and joint managing director, Bharti Airtel, said after meeting president Joyce Banda in Lilongwe.
“Our objective is to provide our customers with innovative mobile services that will help fuel the economic and social development of Malawi,” he added.
Airtel Money allows consumers to send and receive money, directly pay their utility bills, provide access to their bank accounts and even top up their phones with airtime.
According to the firm, the service will benefit the rural communities of Malawi as has been proven in neighbouring countries such as Kenya, Uganda and Tanzania.
Kohli also said that by the end of the current financial year the company will make green energy investment of $10 million in the country.
- Airtel revenue rises in Africa - May 02, 2012
- Bharti promises more than just telecom services to Tanzania - Jul 22, 2010
- Airtel touches 50 million customers mark in Africa - Nov 30, 2011
- Airtel Nigeria goes green to power base stations - Dec 07, 2011
- Airtel ranked best operator by Nigerian telecom regulator - May 11, 2012
- Bharti Airtel inks managed services deal with Ericsson - Jul 21, 2011
- Bharti is world's 5th largest telecom firm after Africa deal (Roundup) - Jun 08, 2010
- Africa deal makes Bharti world's 5th largest telecom firm - Jun 08, 2010
- India to have 400 million 3G connection by 2015: Study - Mar 08, 2011
- Airtel grabs two million 3G subscribers in India - Apr 05, 2011
- Bharti Airtel quarterly net income down 28 percent (Lead) - May 02, 2012
- IBM to manage Bharti Airtel's IT operations in Africa - Sep 17, 2010
- Airtel deal with Nokia Siemens for expansion in Africa - Sep 29, 2011
- Bharti Airtel signs network expansion deal with Huawei - Jun 01, 2011
- Bharti Airtel Q1 net profit declines 37 percent - Aug 08, 2012
Tags: 10 million, 3g network, airtime, bank accounts, bharti airtel, chief executive officer, commerce service, demonstration, digital divide, economic and social development, energy investment, green energy, managing director, mobile commerce, mobile services, neighbouring countries, New Delhi, rural communities, telephony, utility bills