Airtel launches smart phone with HTC CorporationMay 22nd, 2008 - 6:02 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, May 22 (IANS) India’s largest private mobile service provider Airtel Thursday announced its tie-up with Taiwan-based phone company HTC Corporation to offer a new smart phone which will have PC-like functionality. The phone - HTC Touch Diamond - is priced at Rs.27,500 and will have a wide range of features like large scale mobile broadband application for seamless Internet browsing, Youtube application for watching video content and access to Airtel live for entertainment.
HTC chief executive officer Peter Chou told reporters here that its mobile phone has extremely rich features and “the users will feel the difference”.
Currently, HTC has nine smart phones in the Indian market priced between Rs.11,500 to Rs.35,000. Globally, the company sells about 10 million hand sets annually.
The HTC Corporation plans to sell 1 million smart phones in India by 2009. The company has plans for two more India-specific models within the next six months, a company official said.
“The price would be less than Rs.10,000,” said the official.
According to HTC, it sells its hand sets in India either as a stand-alone product or through an association with mobile operators.
Earlier, HTC had announced a tie-up with Reliance Communications for the sales of its CDMA hand sets in the country.
“We see India as the fastest growing market in Asia. Our sales in India in the second half of 2007 went up by nearly 300 percent,” said the official.
- Indian handsets market reports 5 percent drop in revenues - Jul 09, 2012
- HTC launches Sensation smartphone in India - Jun 16, 2011
- Spice plans incubation centres for mobile apps developers - Nov 07, 2011
- Taiwan's Mediatek brings Facebook to entry level phones - Nov 08, 2011
- Sony unveils smart phones for upward mobile - May 24, 2012
- HTC brings its tablet, HTC Flyer to India (Lead) - Jun 27, 2011
- 'Nokia regaining lost ground in handset market' - Jun 07, 2012
- Apple, Google, RIM neck-and-neck in smart phone market - Mar 04, 2011
- China Wireless to set up research centre in India - May 25, 2010
- Motorola launches slimmer Razr for Rs.33,990 - Nov 21, 2011
- BlackBerry launches new smartphone to regain market share (Lead) - Apr 18, 2012
- Nexus One is Google's answer to Apple's iPhone - Jan 06, 2010
- Windows Phone 7.5 launched in India - Oct 12, 2011
- Smart phone BlackBerry Curve 922 launched in India - Apr 18, 2012
- HTC launches glasses-free 3D smartphone - Aug 31, 2011
Tags: 1 million, 10 million, airtel, chief executive officer, diamond, htc, India, mobile operators, mobile phone, mobile service provider, models, New Delhi, reliance, rich features, second half, six months, smart phone, smart phones, taiwan, video content