Airport Metro increases frequency during peak hoursAugust 5th, 2011 - 5:57 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 5 (IANS) On commuter requests for increased frequency, the Airport Metro Express Line (AMEL) has reduced the time between two trains from 20 to 15 minutes on the corridor during peak hours, a Delhi Airport Metro Express Private Limited (DAMEPL) official said Friday.
DAMEPL, a Reliance Infrastructure-led consortium that operates the Airport Express, said the service frequency has been increased from 20 minutes to 15 minutes from Friday between 7 a.m and 11 a.m during the peak hours.
“Receiving requests to increase service frequency from the commuters, DAMEPL has increase the train frequency to 15 minutes at the peak hours of the day,” DAMEPL official said.
“In a feedback survey, many passengers had requested to increase the frequency. Following this, we have increased the frequency during peak hours. This frequency will be implemented for the whole day by the end of this month,” the official said.
Five months ago when Delhi Metro chief E. Sreedharan held a surprise inspection of the Airport Metro Express line he found plenty of faults — from frequency and passenger amenities.
Spending over three hours inspecting the 23-km line, he demanded that frequency of one-train-every-20-minutes needed to change.
Built at a cost of Rs.5,700 crore, the line has six stations — New Delhi Railway Station, Shivaji Stadium, Dhaula Kuan, Delhi Aero City, Indira Gandhi International Airport and Dwarka Sec-21.
“Out of the 6 stations, the Dhaula Kuan and Delhi Aero city which are not operational will soon start operations,” the DAMEPL official added.
Delhi Metro is responsible for the civil work and Reliance Infrastructure will operate the line for 30 years and share the revenues.
- Airport Metro increases frequency - Aug 21, 2011
- Airport Metro's two new stations open Monday - Aug 15, 2011
- From railway station to airport in 20 minutes! - Feb 22, 2011
- Delhi Metro airport line set to commence - Feb 23, 2011
- 15,000 people daily travel on airport Metro - Sep 11, 2011
- Airport Metro feeder bus service from Wednesday - Sep 13, 2011
- 9,000 people travel on Airport Metro daily - May 04, 2011
- Multi-level car parking for Airport Metro commuters - Feb 06, 2012
- Airport Metro line services suspended from Sunday - Jul 07, 2012
- Delhi Metro airport line off to a flying start (Lead) - Feb 23, 2011
- Airport Metro goes hi-tech with wi-fi connectivity - Jan 12, 2012
- Delhi Metro's airport line extends its radio cab service - Jan 07, 2012
- Airport Metro offers discount on Guru Purab - Nov 09, 2011
- Airport Metro offers discount this weekend - Dec 08, 2011
- Airport Metro open to filmmakers - Oct 19, 2011
Tags: airport express, amel, commuters, delhi airport, delhi metro, dhaula kuan, dwarka, feedback survey, indira gandhi, indira gandhi international airport, metro chief, metro express, passenger amenities, peak hours, railway station, service frequency, shivaji, surprise inspection, train frequency, two trains