Airbus saw record orders, deliveries in 2011January 18th, 2012 - 6:05 pm ICT by IANS
Berlin, Jan 18 (IANS) With a smart market strategy and key innovations, European aircraft conglomerate Airbus witnessed record orders and deliveries last year, the company has said.
The company said at a press conference in Hamburg that it delivered 534 commercial aircraft to 88 customers last year, beating the 2010 record by 24 aircraft and keeping the title of the world’s largest jet maker.
December was a record month for the A-380, the world’s largest commercial aircraft, with four deliveries in a single month, the company added.
Airbus also took a record order intake of 1,608 commercial aircraft last year worth $169 billion at list prices, breaking the 2007 record of 1,458 orders.
The new orders include 1,348 A-320 family aircraft, of which the A-320neo, the improved version of the popular single-aisle plane, accounted for 1,226 firm sales, making the new type as “the fastest selling airliner ever” for the company.
With a newly-designed engine, the A-320neo is able to deliver a 15 percent reduction in fuel consumption along with lower operating costs, less noise and emissions, the company said.
To meet the strong demands from the global market, Airbus hired 4,500 new employees in 2011, increasing the active workforce to 55,000. The company said it would target more than 4,000 this year.
“Airbus’ record order intake is the result of our strategic decision for A320neo. With this innovation we established a new industry standard, appreciated by our customers and followed by the competition,” Tom Enders, Airbus’ President and CEO said in a statement.
“With a solid backlog and an excellent cash position, we are well prepared for the future,” he added.
- IndiGo to buy 180 Airbus aircraft for $15 billion (Lead) - Jan 12, 2011
- IndiGo to buy 180 Airbus aircraft for $15 billion (Roundup) - Jan 12, 2011
- Leasing company drops order for 6 Boeing 787 Dreamliners, opts for Airbus - Nov 15, 2011
- IndiGo to buy 180 Airbus aircraft for $15 billion (Second Lead) - Jan 12, 2011
- Airbus to set up assembly line in US - Jul 03, 2012
- Airbus bags order for 50 planes - Nov 15, 2011
- American Airlines orders 460 new planes from Boeing and Airbus - Jul 20, 2011
- Airbus sold 15 corporate jets in 2010 - Jan 28, 2011
- Airbus Attains Record Order From IndiGo Worth Nearly $16 Billion - Jan 12, 2011
- Pratt & Whitney inks pact with Indigo for 300 engines - Jul 09, 2012
- Airbus says China poised to become large aircraft market - Jul 16, 2012
- Chinese company to buy 102 Airbus planes - Nov 05, 2010
- Pratt and Whitney engines to power new IndiGo aircraft - Mar 31, 2011
- Airbus Lands Record Order With IndiGo - Jan 12, 2011
- Boeing to deliver 100 aircraft to India in five years - Mar 14, 2012
Tags: airbus, aisle, backlog, berlin, cash position, ceo, commercial aircraft, conglomerate, deliveries, emissions, european aircraft, fuel consumption, global market, hamburg, innovation, innovations, market strategy, smart market, tom enders, workforce