AirAsia plans to spread in India, hub in BangkokNovember 20th, 2009 - 6:20 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Nov 20 (IANS) Malaysian low-cost carrier AirAsia is planning to make Bangkok a hub next year to expand connectivity to Indian cities, a senior company official said Friday.
“We are looking at many Indian destinations. We are going to make Bangkok a hub and introduce a flight from Phuket to Kolkata next year,” AirAsia’s regional head Kathleen Tan told reporters.
The carrier started flights between Kuala Lumpur and Kolkata Thursday to tap eastern India, saying it was confident the route would boost tourism and stimulate economies of India and Malaysia.
“We are also exploring connectivity between Bangkok and Mumbai, Kuala Lumpur and Delhi, Kuala Lumpur and Hyderabad, Bangkok and Delhi and Bangkok and Amritsar,” Tan said.
AirAsia currently covers over 70 destinations across 20 countries in Southeast Asia with nine hubs in Malaysia, Thailand and Indonesia. In India, its network covers only Kochi, Trivandrum and Kolkata.
- AirAsia launches flight to Bangalore - May 21, 2010
- AirAsia set to become most connected non-local airline in India - Nov 21, 2009
- Air Asia to link five more Indian cities - Mar 11, 2010
- Goan origin Fernandes has pan-India aspiration for his AirAsia (Lead) - Apr 13, 2010
- AirAsia plans more direct flights to India - Dec 18, 2009
- Air Asia to add six more India-Malaysia flights - Apr 13, 2010
- AirAsia to start Kolkata-Bangkok daily flight from December - Oct 20, 2010
- Air Asia offers low fares to promote tourism in Malaysia - Jun 23, 2010
- AirAsia to operate daily flights on Kolkata-Kuala Lumpur route - Oct 14, 2009
- AirAsia launches second daily flight from Kuala Lumpur to Tiruchirapalli - Jul 28, 2009
- AirAsia to give away a million free tickets - Nov 11, 2009
- Malaysia's AirAsia wins TTG best Asian low-cost carrier award - Oct 12, 2010
- AirAsia X launches Kaula Lumpur-Delhi daily flights - Aug 05, 2010
- Malaysian budget airliner Air Asia to target two million passengers to India - Jan 28, 2010
- Malaysia's Air Asia to expand flights to five Indian cities - Jan 27, 2010
Tags: airasia, amritsar, bangkok, countries in southeast asia, eastern india, flights, hub, hubs, hyderabad, indian cities, indian destinations, indonesia, kolkata, kuala lumpur, low cost carrier, mumbai, phuket, regional head, Thailand, trivandrum