Air Marshal Sumit Mukerji takes over as Air Officer-in-charge personnel, IAFMay 1st, 2008 - 5:02 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, May 1 (ANI): Air Marshal Sumit Mukerji has taken over as Air Officer-in-charge personnel at air headquarters here today.
Air Marshal Mukerji has replaced Air Marshal VR Iyer who has proceeded to training command as Air Officer Commanding-in-Chief.
Born on Jun 26 1951 at New Delhi, Air Marshal Mukerji was a product of Sherwood College, Nainital. He graduated from the National Defence Academy in 1970 and was commissioned on January 22, 1972.
He is a Qualified Flying Instructor (Cat ‘A’), a fighter combat leader and a graduate of the Defence Services Staff College. He was also an instructor at the Defence Services Staff College.
He is one of the very few officers of the IAF to have commanded three operational fighter squadrons or units.
His first command was a MiG-29 Squadron, the second a MiG-25 Squadron and the third, the Tactics and Air Combat Development Establishment of which he is the Commodore Commandant also.
Mukerji is the only pilot in the history of the IAF to have commanded units with the MiG-21, MiG-23U, MiG-25, MiG-27 and MiG-29 aircraft. He has also commanded an operational air base in the deserts of Western India and has over 3700 hours of flying on fighter aircraft.
He was awarded the Shaurya Chakra for Gallantry (peace time) in 1981 and the Vishist Seva Medal (VSM) for services of a high order in 1997. He has been the Air Attache in the Embassy of India, Washington DC and has held staff appointments at Air Headquarters and Ministry of Defence. (ANI)
- New IAF vice chief, Eastern air commander take charge - Aug 01, 2011
- Air Marshal Kumaria is new IAF vice chief - May 30, 2012
- Ace fighter pilot Browne is new IAF vice chief (Lead) - Jan 01, 2011
- Norman Browne assumes charge as IAF chief (Lead) - Jul 31, 2011
- Air Marshal Browne is new IAF vice chief - Jan 01, 2011
- Air Marshal Browne to be next Indian Air Force chief - May 20, 2011
- Air Marshal Malhotra takes charge as Eastern Command's SASO - Oct 04, 2009
- Yet another MiG-21 crashes, pilot bails out - Oct 07, 2011
- Accident-prone MiG-21 to be flown only by experienced pilots: IAF - Sep 01, 2011
- Air Marshal Roy takes over as NDC commandant - Jan 21, 2011
- Air Marshal LK Malhotra takes over as Eastern Air Command SASO - Oct 01, 2009
- Air Marshal Kumaria to be new Western Command chief - Dec 31, 2010
- Air Marshal PS Bhangu takes over as South Western Air Command Chief - Oct 01, 2009
- Air Chief Marshal PV Naik takes over as new IAF chief - May 31, 2009
- New planes' induction will reduce air crashes: Antony - Feb 05, 2011
Tags: air attache, air marshal, combat development, combat leader, defence services, development establishment, embassy of india, embassy of india washington, embassy of india washington dc, fighter combat, fighter squadrons, first command, flying instructor, mig 29 aircraft, national defence academy, peace time, sherwood college, staff appointments, staff college, western india