Air links for smaller cities, towns on anvil: Ajit SinghJuly 17th, 2012 - 9:26 pm ICT by IANS
Bangalore, July 17 (IANS) Smaller cities and towns across India, including in the northeast region would have air connectivity and new airports, Civil Aviation Minister Ajit Singh said Tuesday.
“A new policy in the form of route dispersal guidelines is under consideration to provide air connectivity to remote and interior areas of the country,” Ajit Singh said at a meeting of the ministry’s parliamentary consultative committee here.
The policy envisages setting up an Essential Air Services Fund to subsidise airlines connecting tier-two (non-metros) and tier-three cities (towns) across the country.
“We are also planning to enhance operations of helicopters and construction of helipads at smaller places, including pilgrim centres and popular tourist spots to connect them with cities and metros,” Ajit Singh told the lawmakers.
Guidelines will be modified to enable regional and feeder airlines to buy smaller aircraft for providing connectivity on short haul routes to smaller cities and towns.
- Air India to focus on innovative regional routes to shore up growth - May 23, 2011
- Alliance Air launches Delhi-Kanpur-Kolkata flight - May 24, 2011
- Action plan mooted to make India global aviation hub - Mar 15, 2012
- Brazil's Embraer proposes regional jets for India - Jul 04, 2010
- Karnataka looks beyond Bangalore to promote tourism - Jun 08, 2012
- Niche airline operators eye the versatile Twin Otter - Apr 05, 2010
- Air Arabia to fly to non-metro cities - Apr 05, 2010
- SpiceJet links Thiruvananthapuram to Hyderabad, Chennai - Oct 07, 2011
- Airport Metro feeder bus service from Wednesday - Sep 13, 2011
- Can hire new pilots, says Ajit Singh (Lead) - May 25, 2012
- Air India works on contingency plan as strike drags on (Second Lead) - May 11, 2012
- Delhi Metro to begin operations at 2 p.m. on Holi - Mar 05, 2012
- Air India moves Supreme Court as pilots strike rocks parliament (Roundup) - May 10, 2012
- Kingfisher Airlines launches nine new domestic flights - Jun 11, 2011
- Delhi Metro to induct 8-coach trains on two busy corridors - May 02, 2012
Tags: airports, ajit singh, anvil, bangalore, cities and towns, civil aviation, connectivity, consultative committee, dispersal, essential air, feeder, helicopters, helipads, interior areas, july 17, lawmakers, metros, pilgrim centres, three cities, tourist spots