Air India pilots threaten to strike workFebruary 23rd, 2011 - 11:25 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Feb 23 (IANS) A group of pilots from the erstwhile Indian Airlines, which has now been merged into flag carrier Air India, Wednesday served notice of striking work March 9, an official said.The Indian Commercial Pilots Association (ICPA) served the notice to airline Chairman and Managing Director Arvind Jadhav stating that they will strike work as the management had failed to address their grievances, including pay parity and better working conditions.
“We have served the notice before 14 days as per Section 22 of the Industrial Disputes Act. We will strike work March 9,” ICPA General Secretary Capt. Rishabh Kapoor said.
The association has claimed that there are differences in salaries and working conditions of pilots of Indian Airlines and Air India and that the management has violated the memorandum of settlement signed in November 2009 on implementing the Sixth Pay Commission recommendations.
The ICPA is also demanding payment of arrears since the date of merger of the two airlines in 2007. The ICPA represents some 800 pilots of the erstwhile Indian Airlines.
“Air India has advised ICPA to desist from any action which would breach peace and harmony and cause inconvenience to our valued passengers,” the company said in a statement.
“Air India is seriously engaged in turning-around the company and any such actions would only jeopardise these efforts. Air India is a public utility service and the notice issued by ICPA is in violation of the provisions of the Industrial Disputes Act, 1947, as also subsisting settlements with the association,” the airline added.
- Talks on to stave-off Air India pilots strike - Mar 08, 2011
- All efforts on to stave-off Air India strike - Mar 05, 2011
- Air India strike inevitable as talks break down - Mar 07, 2011
- Talks still on to preveent Air India pilots strike (Lead) - Mar 08, 2011
- Court bans pilots' strike, Air India to continue operations (Lead) - Mar 15, 2011
- Pilots' strike: Delhi High Court to hear contempt case - May 02, 2011
- Court bans strike, Air India to continue normal operations - Mar 15, 2011
- Efforts on to resolve Air India pilots' deadlock - Mar 09, 2011
- Air India pilots strike postponed - Mar 09, 2011
- Pilots strike enters seventh day, ICPA writes to PM - May 03, 2011
- Air India pilots still on strike, ready to go to jail - Apr 29, 2011
- Pilots' strike will not see another day, rules Delhi High Court - May 02, 2011
- Air India pilots announce strike from March 16 - Mar 14, 2011
- Air India sacks six striking pilots - Apr 27, 2011
- Air India threatens to sack pilots who do not return to work by 5 p.m. today - Apr 29, 2011
Tags: air india, arrears, arvind, capt, carrier air, cause inconvenience, commercial pilots, commission recommendations, flag carrier, general secretary, grievances, icpa, indian airlines, industrial disputes, managing director, pay parity, peace and harmony, pilots association, rishabh, working conditions