Air India pilots strike postponedMarch 9th, 2011 - 2:33 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 9 (IANS) A group of Air India pilots, who have threatened to go on strike Wednesday over pay hike and other issues, decided to postpone their plan till March 15 after an initiative by the Civil Aviation Minister Vayalar Ravi.
“The association have appreciated the initiative taken by the minister and they will take a final call on the strike later this month,” an official of the agitating pilots group told IANS.
The Indian Commercial Pilots Association (ICPA), a group of pilots from the erstwhile Indian Airlines, now merged with flag carrier Air India, had served notice Feb 23 for striking work March 9.
The association claims that there were differences in salaries and working conditions of pilots of Indian Airlines and Air India and that the management has violated the memorandum of settlement signed in November 2009 on implementing the Sixth Pay Commission recommendations.
The ICPA is also demanding payment of arrears since the date of merger of the two airlines in 2007. The ICPA represents some 800 pilots of the erstwhile Indian Airlines.
Air India has also said that all efforts are on to stave-off the strike.
“Talks are on and we are trying our best to stave-off the strike. All our efforts are currently concentrated towards it,” a senior Air India official told IANS.
Earlier, talks between Ravi and and ICPA failed to break the deadlock Monday.
“I patiently heard what the association had to tell me. They raised some immediate concerns which I will take up with my secretary and management soon,” Ravi had told reporters here after the meeting.
The cash-strapped airline had reported a decrease in its net loss for fiscal 2009-10 — at Rs.5,551 crore against a net loss of Rs.7,189 crore in fiscal 2008-09.
The central government had infused Rs.2,000 crore of fresh equity in the flag-carrier last year in two instalments of Rs.800 crore and Rs.1,200 crore.
Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee, in his 2011-12 budget, had said: “As a part of the process for financial restructuring of National Aviation Company of India Limited, an amount of Rs.1,200 crore has been provided.”
Indo-Asian News Service
- Talks on to stave-off Air India pilots strike - Mar 08, 2011
- Talks still on to preveent Air India pilots strike (Lead) - Mar 08, 2011
- Air India pilots announce strike from March 16 - Mar 14, 2011
- All efforts on to stave-off Air India strike - Mar 05, 2011
- Air India pilots threaten strike over late salaries - Feb 09, 2011
- Air India strike inevitable as talks break down - Mar 07, 2011
- Court bans strike, Air India to continue normal operations - Mar 15, 2011
- Ravi to meet Air India unions to know grievances - Feb 14, 2011
- Efforts on to resolve Air India pilots' deadlock - Mar 09, 2011
- Court bans pilots' strike, Air India to continue operations (Lead) - Mar 15, 2011
- Budget: Air India to get Rs.1,200 crore fresh equity - Feb 28, 2011
- Air India makes turnaround pitch to bankers - Apr 08, 2011
- Court notice to pilots' group on Air India plea (Lead) - Jul 31, 2012
- Over 100 Air India pilots threaten to resign - Oct 31, 2011
- Pilots strike enters seventh day, ICPA writes to PM - May 03, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,