Air India pilots’ strike enters fifth dayMay 12th, 2012 - 11:58 am ICT by IANS
Mumbai, May 12 (IANS) Four international flights were cancelled and several domestic flights re-scheduled Saturday as the Air India pilots continued to strike for the fifth day, leaving passengers stranded at the airport terminals.
The flights cancelled by Air India include Mumbai-London-Mumbai, Mumbai-Riyadh-Mumbai, Mumbai-Newark-Mumbai and Mumbai-Delhi-Shanghai-Delhi-Mumbai.
Several domestic flights have also been cancelled and rescheduled as the stand-off between the pilots’ association and the management continued on the fifth day.
On its part, the Indian Pilots Guild (IPG), while accusing Air India management of backtracking on its commitments sought Civil Aviation Minister Ajit Singh’s intervention and appealed him to “open negotiation channels” to resolve the crisis.
Management of Air India has taken action against 71 pilots in four days and also written to the Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) asking it to cancel the licenses of 11 office bearers of the IPG whose services have been terminated.
The carrier has also chalked out a contingency plan to restore partial international flights starting Monday.
Trouble started for the airline Tuesday when pilots belonging to IPG took mass sick leave protesting the move to provide Boeing-787 Dreamliner training to pilots from the erstwhile Indian Airlines.
The airline has also moved petitions in the Supreme Court and Delhi High Court. The apex court will hear the petition along with special leave petition (SLP) filed earlier by the Indian Commercial Pilots Association, the union of erstwhile Indian Airlines pilots.
- AI pilots say they are ready for talks, management is not (Second Lead) - May 12, 2012
- Air India pilots continue strike for fifth day (Lead) - May 12, 2012
- Air India works on contingency plan as strike drags on (Second Lead) - May 11, 2012
- Air India loses Rs.100 crore due pilots' strike (Lead) - May 14, 2012
- Ajit Singh meets PM, asks pilots to get back to work (Lead) - May 11, 2012
- Air India crisis continues, 14 flights cancelled - May 14, 2012
- AI's contingency plan in place, only one flight cancelled - May 16, 2012
- Air India crisis deepens, sacks another 25 pilots (Roundup) - May 11, 2012
- Air India's 'sick' pilots continue protest, four flights cancelled (Lead) - May 09, 2012
- Air India pilots stir continues, five flights cancelled - May 10, 2012
- Court restrains Air India pilots' illegal strike (Lead) - May 09, 2012
- Air India tries to stabilise operation, scraps 10 more flights - May 15, 2012
- Nine pilots sacked, eight flights cancelled (Lead) - May 10, 2012
- Air India grounds bulk of Boeing 777 fleet - May 11, 2012
- Talk, settle dispute: Court to Air India, striking pilots (Lead) - Jul 02, 2012
Tags: air india, airport terminals, ajit singh, apex court, backtracking, boeing 787 dreamliner, civil aviation, commercial pilots, contingency plan, delhi high court, directorate general, domestic flights, fifth day, indian airlines, international flights, ipg, mumbai delhi, pilots association, pilots strike, sick leave