Air India, pilots disagree in courtJuly 18th, 2012 - 8:13 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 18 (IANS) The Air India management and pilots Wednesday disagreed in the Delhi High Court on the composition of a panel proposed to consider the reinstatement of 101 pilots sacked during a recent strike.
The pilots sought the inclusion of an independent member in the committee but the management did not agree.
Justice Reva Khetrapal gave two options during the hearing.
“First, I hold over the suit till the time the committee decides the reinstatement of terminated pilots. And second, I will allow you to withdraw the suit but there will be independent mediator in the committee,” Justice Khetrapal said.
The airline management rejected both the options.
Advocate Lalit Bhasin, appearing for Air India, earlier came up with an eight-point proposal which was later withdrawn by the management.
The pilots sought appointment of an independent member, preferably a retired judge of the Supreme Court or high court, in the committee constituted by the management to decide the issue of reinstatement of terminated pilots. But the management rejected the proposal.
Bhasin said: “We have suggested a three-member committee and no one from outside would be allowed into the committee, as it is our internal matter.”
The management has constituted a committee consisting two board-level directors and one executive director to look into the reinstatement of sacked pilots.
The court also asked the management to pay the salaries of pilots who claimed they were not paid for five months.
“At least some amount of salary must be released to them for their livelihood,” the court said and directed Bhasin to talk to the management about the issue.
The court would next hear the case July 23.
- Court slams Air India stand over sacked pilots (Lead) - Jul 16, 2012
- Hold talks daily, court tells Air India, pilots (Lead) - Jul 09, 2012
- Air India reinstates nine sacked pilots (Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- Committee formed to reinstate sacked Air India pilots, court told - Jul 13, 2012
- Talk, settle dispute: Court to Air India, striking pilots (Lead) - Jul 02, 2012
- Court restrains Air India pilots' illegal strike (Lead) - May 09, 2012
- Air India pilots to call off strike (Roundup) - Jul 03, 2012
- Air India pilots to call off strike (Lead) - Jul 03, 2012
- Air India pilots' strike nears end (Second Lead) - Jul 03, 2012
- Notice issued to centre, Air India on pilots' plea - Jun 25, 2012
- Pilots' wage parity process has started, court told - Sep 04, 2012
- Pilots' stir: Chief labour commissioner to convene talks - Jun 13, 2012
- Government issued notice on striking pilots' plea on back wages (Lead) - Jun 13, 2012
- Contempt notice issued to Air India pilots (Second Lead) - May 23, 2012
- Won't interfere with Air India pilots' training: Delhi High Court - May 11, 2012
Tags: air india, airline management, appointment, composition, delhi high court, executive director, five months, inclusion, independent mediator, independent member, internal matter, livelihood, member committee, New Delhi, point proposal, reinstatement, reva, salaries, salary, supreme court