Air India, Jet flights escape disaster at Mumbai airportMay 31st, 2009 - 3:23 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, May 31 (IANS) An aviation disaster was averted at Mumbai airport Sunday when two aircraft got clearance to take off simultaneously from two runways but the pilots stopped the planes in the nick of time, an airport official said.
The incident occurred at 7.27 a.m. when Air India’s Mumbai-Delhi and Jet Airways’ Mumbai-Kolkata flight were scheduled for departure.
While the Air India aircraft with 119 passengers was awaiting take-off on the main runway 927, the Jet plane with 120 passengers awaited at the cross-runway 1427, the official said.
After clearance from the Air Traffic Control (ATS), both aircraft started moving and came almost opposite each other before their pilots aborted the take off.
This is the second major instance of a near-collision at Mumbai airport in the past four months.
On Feb 9, a near-collision between a helicopter in the president’s air entourage and an Air India flight was averted.
Mumbai airport, among the busiest in the world, has two runways running across each other (in X formation). While the main runway is used round-the-clock, the cross-runway (1427) is used for six hours daily.
There is generally a few minutes gap between every take off. The runways are alternatively used for take-off and landing.
The ATC is now actively considering a proposal to use the cross-runway round-the-clock to ease air congestion over Mumbai.
- Air India, Jet flights miss colliding, probe ordered (Lead) - May 31, 2009
- Jet Airways flight aborts take-off - Feb 08, 2012
- Major plane accident averted in Chennai - Sep 24, 2011
- Near-collision of planes averted at Mumbai airport - Apr 19, 2010
- Another air disaster averted in Mumbai - Jun 04, 2010
- Chinese plane flies from Japan without permission - Nov 30, 2011
- Plane removed, operations resume at Mumbai airport runway - Sep 05, 2011
- Air Berlin jet slides off runway, no one injured - Jan 03, 2010
- Aborted take-off by Air India Express pilot being probed: DGCA - Jan 27, 2012
- Air India flight skids off runway in Kanpur - Jul 20, 2011
- Major air mishap averted at Mumbai (Lead) - May 27, 2010
- Mumbai Airport to close for reconstruction work - Feb 25, 2012
- Meghalaya wants probe against pilots flouting safety norms - Jun 17, 2011
- Plane makes emergency landing after bird hit - Aug 20, 2011
- Near-miss at Birmingham Airport - Jan 17, 2011
Tags: air india, air india flight, air traffic control, atc, aviation disaster, congestion, entourage, four months, gap, helicopter, jet airways, jet flights, jet plane, kolkata, mumbai airport, mumbai delhi, nick of time, planes, runways, six hours