Air India flight skids off runway in KanpurJuly 20th, 2011 - 4:48 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, July 20 (IANS) An Air India flight carrying 54 passengers skidded off the runway at Kanpur’s Chakeri airport Wednesday after landing from New Delhi. All the passengers were evacuated safely, officials said.
“The flight AI-9801 carrying 54 passengers skidded off Kanpur airport’s runway. All the passengers are safe and another return flight is being arranged to bring passengers slated to travel on Kanpur-Delhi route,” a senior Air India official with the operations arm of the airline told IANS.
According to the official, the 70-seater Canadair Regional Jet (CRJ), which took off from the IGI airport here at around 11.45 am, skidded at Kanpur airport due to wet runway conditions around 12.30 p.m.
“The aircraft approached the runway at the prescribed regulatory guidelines and speed limits, but skidded due to wet runway,” an official said.
“The aircraft skidded and then got stuck in mud after crossing the length of the runway. The area after the runway is a safety area, so the aircraft was not damaged,” he added.
The aircraft was being towed away and another aircraft was being flown in to pick passengers from the return flight to the national capital.
Celebrity passenger Chetan Bhagat, who was one of the passengers on board tweeted: “Landed in Kanpur on AI. Emergency landing as plane skidded off runway into wet mud. Lucky save. Evacuations on now. Thank u God.”
Bhagat said he was unable to upload any picture of the incident as the Kanpur airport is also used for military purposes and photography is banned.
“Can’t take pics as military airport but quite something to step out on mud.
The plane wheels are barely visible, dug deep into mud,” he posted on the microblogging site.
The national carrier’s budget subsidiary, Alliance Air, started the hopping flight between the national capital to Kolkata with a 30-minute stopover at Kanpur, which is 83 km from Uttar Pradesh capital Lucknow.
The flight is operated on all days except Sundays.
- Plane removed, operations resume at Mumbai airport runway - Sep 05, 2011
- Alliance Air launches Delhi-Kanpur-Kolkata flight - May 24, 2011
- Plane skids off runway at Kochi airport, two injured - Aug 29, 2011
- Turkish Airways plane goes off runway in Mumbai during heavy rainfall - Sep 03, 2011
- Turkish Airlines plane skids; Mumbai airport shut till Saturday - Sep 03, 2011
- Mumbai airport's main runway not yet functional - Sep 04, 2011
- Mumbai airport main runway shut till 11 p.m. Saturday - Sep 03, 2011
- Gulf Air passenger plane skids off runway in southwest India - Aug 29, 2011
- Front tyres of Air India plane burst, no casualties - Sep 06, 2011
- Sukhoi skids at Pune airport, flights hit - Apr 19, 2012
- Plane makes emergency landing after bird hit - Aug 20, 2011
- Air India plane stuck on runway, operations hit - Oct 23, 2010
- 10 injured as plane makes emergency landing in Lahore - Aug 31, 2012
- Major plane accident averted in Chennai - Sep 24, 2011
- Malaysian flight makes emergency landing at Delhi airport - Feb 20, 2011
Tags: air india, air india flight, alliance air, canadair regional jet, canadair regional jet crj, chetan bhagat, emergency landing, kanpur, lucknow, military airport, military purposes, national carrier, regulatory guidelines, return flight, safety area, skids, speed limits, stopover, u god, wet mud