Air India crew, engineers on flash strike (Lead, Changing dateline)May 25th, 2010 - 3:57 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai/New Delhi, May 25 (IANS) Over 15,000 crew members and maintenance engineers of Air India went on a flash strike all over India Tuesday, hitting the carrier’s operations, according to airport sources.
An Air India official, however, claimed flight operations were “normal and the management has no information of the strike”.
Airport sources said Air India crew members and maintenance engineers went on strike for their various demands, including delays in payment of salaries.
Union sources said that on account of the sudden agitation, AI operations at most airports across the country had been severely hit and several flights were delayed.
“There were 4-5 issues for the strike, and the latest was a gag order issued by the management. There are 12,000 engineers and crew of Air India with us and operations are severely affected,” said Anand Prakash, general secretary of Air Corporation Employees Union (ACEU).
Airport sources in New Delhi said that the employees started gathering at the Palam airport at around 1.30 p.m. as the shifts start changing from 2 p.m.
“Their aim was to gather more people. Among the issues that has forced employees to go on strike were non-payment of salaries and controversy on serving liquor on board,” said a protesting employee.
The national carrier had earlier ordered 50 percent cut in the productivity-linked incentives (PLI) to save about Rs.700 crore. PLIs currently account for 30 percent to 50 percent of Air India employees’ wages. PLIs have not been paid since August.
Air India officials, however, claim that operations are not affected by the strike.
“They have just now gone on strike and as of now all flights are on time. We have to wait and see whether the strike will affect the operations. It is a time of crisis and the employees should cooperate with the management,” an airline spokesperson said.
- Air India staff go on flash strike (Third Lead) - May 25, 2010
- Air India crew, engineers go on flash strike (Second Lead) - May 25, 2010
- Kingfisher employees on strike, operations not affected - Apr 21, 2012
- AI employees suffer as strike continues for 19th day (Lead) - May 26, 2012
- Air India to give August incentive to employees - Nov 30, 2011
- Air India staffers launch flash strike in Mumbai - May 25, 2010
- Kingfisher negotiates with striking employees (Lead) - Apr 21, 2012
- Passengers livid over Air India strike, management offers talks (Second Lead) - May 26, 2010
- Pay cut for Air India employees in May due to strike - May 31, 2012
- Kingfisher Airlines scrip rises as strike called off - Apr 03, 2012
- Central government staff can travel on private airlines - May 26, 2010
- Air India crew, engineers on flash strike - May 25, 2010
- Delhi High Court stays Air India strike - May 26, 2010
- Passengers stranded as 40 Kingfisher flights axed (Second Lead) - Jul 14, 2012
- Air India employees continue hunger strike, talks fail - Aug 26, 2009
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,