Air India cancels Toronto flight - after hours of miseryNovember 9th, 2010 - 10:09 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 9 (IANS) Air India Tuesday abruptly axed a flight to Toronto in Canada after first delaying boarding and then making the passengers wait in the aircraft for hours while the cabin crew walked out, a passenger said.
Air India flight 187 was scheduled to take off from the Indira Gandhi International Airport at 1.45 a.m. but the passengers were let into the plane only two hours later on the promise that it would take off at 4 a.m.
But once the passengers occupied their seats, their agony began, said Meera Ramchand from Bangalore who was on the aircraft.
“After about half hour, five members of the crew walked out saying their duty hours were coming to an end as the flight had been unduly delayed,” Ramchand told IANS.
“Then the pilot announced that they were waiting for 30 passengers from Amritsar… No one came though. At about 6, they served us meals, promising the plane would take off.
“Naturally, everyone was angry. People protested… No one knew what was going on. The worst-hit were the elderly and those with children. Instead of coming to our help, the other crew members also threatened to walk out. It was strange,” she said.
“Now, just before 8 a.m., they announced that the flight has been cancelled due to commercial and operational reasons. No one is telling us what we are to do or how we will proceed to Canada and when,” Ramchand said.
Air India officials could not be reached for comment.
- Plane makes emergency landing in London - Apr 16, 2012
- Return passengers to lounge if take-off delayed: Apex court - Jul 08, 2011
- Thick fog in Delhi hits flights, trains services (Lead) - Jan 18, 2012
- Girl 'air-born' on Delhi-Toronto flight! - Oct 22, 2011
- Air India passengers stranded yet again, protest - Nov 04, 2010
- Air India's first Dreamliner arrives after 4-year wait - Sep 08, 2012
- Air India flight turbulence leaves passengers injured, probe ordered - Jul 26, 2012
- Crew rostering goof up by Air India delays flights - Jun 07, 2011
- Air India turbulence injures passengers, probe ordered (Lead) - Jul 26, 2012
- Furious Ryanair passengers stage plane sit-in - Nov 18, 2010
- Air Canada passengers burned during turbulence - Sep 20, 2011
- Now, Qantas 747 forced to return back to Sydney following electrical system problem - Nov 15, 2010
- SpiceJet bomb scare creates chaos in Kathmandu - Sep 25, 2011
- Qantas' flight woes continue as fault forces US-bound jet to divert to Fiji - Jan 19, 2011
- Rat delays Air India Amritsar-London flight - Sep 26, 2009