Aila damaged solar panels worth Rs.50 crore in SundarbansJune 5th, 2009 - 9:09 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, June 5 (IANS) Cyclone Aila that devastated parts of West Bengal last month damaged solar power panels worth Rs.50 crore (Rs.500 million) in the Sundarbans, an official said here Friday.
“We’ve estimated that a huge bulk of solar panel devices worth Rs.50 crore was completely damaged due to cyclone Aila last week in Sundarbans,” the managing director of West Bengal Green Energy Development Corporation Ltd, S.P Gon Chowdhury told reporters on the sidelines of a enviromental conference.
“Nearly 60,000 individual solar panels, bio-mass and 21 clusters of solar lighting systems were damaged due to the cyclone,” he said, adding that the solar clusters were repaired later.
He said the maximum damage took place in islands like Patharpratima, Higalganj, Sagar and Sandeshkhali.
“The central and the state governments have already taken up initiatives to rebuild these solar equipments in Sundarbans,” Chowdhury said.
Cyclone Aila tore through extensive parts of West Bengal May 25, levelling houses, uprooting trees, snapping power cables and leaving a trail of destruction in 13 of its 19 districts.
- Special solar lanterns for Aila-hit Sundarbans villagers - Jun 15, 2009
- Battered but still balloting, Sundarbans shows way - Apr 28, 2011
- A Rs 12,000 crore project to develop the Sundarbans - Dec 16, 2009
- Land acquisition hampering embankment building in Sunderbans - Feb 29, 2012
- Pilgrims not to pay tax at fair: Mamata - Oct 20, 2011
- No steps taken to maintain Sundarbans embankments: Jatua - Jun 07, 2009
- 24 killed, 110,000 affected as Cyclone Aila pounds coastal West Bengal (Third Lead) - May 26, 2009
- 18 killed, 100,000 affected as Aila batters coastal West Bengal (Second Lead) - May 25, 2009
- West Bengal government calls all-party meet on Aila (Lead) - Jun 06, 2009
- West Bengal welcomes Aila grant, but says money 'insufficient' - Jul 06, 2009
- West Bengal issues alert on cyclone Laila - May 19, 2010
- Mamata announces sops for Sunderbans - Jan 31, 2012
- Heavy rain displaces 150,000 in West Bengal - Sep 07, 2009
- Relief workers fear epidemic in Sundarbans after Cyclone Aila - Jun 01, 2009
- In Sundarbans, weak embankments a major concern this monsoon - Apr 12, 2010
Tags: aila, bio mass, chowdhury, corporation ltd, crore, cyclone, energy development, green energy, kolkata, levelling, maximum damage, power cables, rs 500, sagar, solar lighting systems, solar panel, solar panels, solar power panels, state governments, west bengal