AIG reports fourth quarter profitsFebruary 24th, 2012 - 2:10 pm ICT by IANS
New York, Feb 24 (IANS) American International Group (AIG) has reported a net income of $19.8 billion in the fourth quarter of 2011, gaining about 77 percent year-on-year thanks to a big tax benefit.
For the year 2011, the bailed-out insurer also managed a profit of $17.8 billion, more than double compared with $7.8 billion it earned in the previous year, reported Xinhua.
According to its financial report Thursday, the huge profits in the fourth quarter include a tax benefit of $17.7 billion, which came as the company released some of its so-called deferred tax assets accumulated as AIG’s losses mounted amid the financial crisis.
The tax assets means the insurer can avoid paying as much as $45 billion in income tax in the years ahead.
AIG also benefited from a $1 billion increase in the market value of Asian life insurer AIA Group as its shares were one-third owned by AIG.
“Two years ago, sceptics and even some supporters thought it inconceivable that we would be in a position to post our second consecutive annual profit,” said Chief Executive Robert Benmosche.
Not only did the insurer turn a profit in 2011, AIG also repurchased $70 million of its own shares in the quarter from the US Treasury, which was the company’s first repurchase since its 2008 rescue.
Shares of AIG gained nearly 7 percent in after-hour trading Thursday after the company released its earnings, beating Wall Street expectations.
- BRIC revenues help push IBM profits - Apr 18, 2012
- US banks' net income rises - Aug 29, 2012
- GM posts $7.6 bn net profit for 2011 - Feb 17, 2012
- AIG pays back $1.5 bn to US Treasury - Mar 23, 2012
- Apple quarterly results exceed expectations - Apr 25, 2012
- Bank of America earnings beat estimates - Apr 20, 2012
- Reliance Capital total income up 18 percent - Aug 13, 2011
- Reliance Capital net profit up 68 percent - Feb 12, 2011
- Ford posts $20.2 bn net income - Jan 28, 2012
- Ford's net income stands at $20.2 bn in 2011 - Jan 28, 2012
- U.S. banking industry earned $14.5 Billion in 3Q, up from last year's $2 Billion - Nov 23, 2010
- Ford Q1 profit down 45 percent year on year - Apr 28, 2012
- Wage hike dips Wipro net, projects flat growth - Jul 20, 2011
- General Motors reports $2 billion profit - Nov 10, 2010
- Reliance Capital net profit dips 28 percent - Nov 13, 2010
Tags: 1 billion, aia, aig, american international group, asian life, chief executive, deferred tax assets, earnings, financial crisis, income tax, life insurer, losses, net income, previous year, quarter profits, tax benefit, us treasury, wall street, wall street expectations, xinhua