AIG bonuses higher than previously reported: OfficialMarch 22nd, 2009 - 3:44 am ICT by IANS
Washington, March 22 (DPA) Bonuses paid to top officials at ailing insurer American International Group Inc (AIG) were higher than previously reported, a Connecticut state prosecutor told CNN Saturday.
AIG employees received $218 million in bonuses in recent months, higher than the $165 million previously reported, Connecticut Attorney General Richard Blumenthal told the broadcaster, citing information he’d gathered from subpoenaed documents.
The bonuses have caused a political firestorm in the US, given that AIG has received $200 billion in federal money in a series of federal government bail-outs since September.
AIG had previously announced plans to disburse up to $1 billion in bonuses this year, despite sharp losses in the ongoing financial crisis.
An AIG spokesman told CNN that Blumenthal’s numbers were incorrect because he was factoring in bonuses that had already been distributed in 2008.
Reacting to the national backlash against AIG, the US House of Representatives, the lower house of the legislature, passed a measure Friday that would levy a 90-percent tax on bonuses at companies that receive more than $5 billion in federal funds. The measure cannot become law until it is also approved by the Senate.
- US Treasury to receive $5.75 bn from AIG stock sale - Aug 07, 2012
- AIG pays back $1.5 bn to US Treasury - Mar 23, 2012
- Federal Bailout Costs Slated to Reduce TARP - Oct 06, 2010
- AIG not the only company to pay bail-out bonuses - Mar 19, 2009
- US Congress to vote on 90 percent tax on bail-out bonuses - Mar 20, 2009
- US Congress wants AIG bonuses back - Mar 19, 2009
- Spain to trim another $80 bn with new austerity measures - Jul 12, 2012
- AIG ex-chief to pay millions in fraud probe - Aug 07, 2009
- Don't need more bail-outs: AIG - May 14, 2009
- Spanish government approves austerity package - Jul 14, 2012
- US seeks broad new powers to take over troubled firms - Mar 25, 2009
- Wall Street rises on monetary easing hopes - Jun 20, 2012
- AIG, Bank of America announce bonuses to employees - Feb 04, 2010
- US seeks to suspend executives' bonuses at mortgage giants - Nov 16, 2011
- AIG Bonus returning pledge is just an empty pledge - Dec 28, 2009
Tags: 1 billion, aig, american international group, american international group inc, attorney general richard blumenthal, backlash against, broadcaster, cnn, connecticut attorney general, connecticut attorney general richard blumenthal, connecticut state, dpa, federal money, financial crisis, house of representatives, insurer, international group inc, political firestorm, state prosecutor, us house of representatives