AI pilots go on a hunger strikeJune 24th, 2012 - 12:08 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 24 (IANS) Eleven pilots of Air India Sunday went on an indefinite hunger strike demanding the reinstatement of their 101 sacked colleagues.
“Eleven pilots belonging to Indian Pilots’ Guild (IPG) are sitting on an indefinite hunger strike from today (Sunday). Our protest (hunger strike) is only for the reinstatement of our sacked colleagues and for the reputation of our union. We want to bring the strike to an end as soon as possible,” Rohit Kapahi, committee member of IPG, told IANS.
The Air India management earlier sacked 101 pilots belonging to the IPG. Around 440 pilots had struck work since May 8 against the management move to train pilots from the erstwhile Indian Airlines in the merged entity on the soon-to-be-inducted Boeing-787 Dreamliner.
The pilots’ announcement on their “Anna-type” protest fast assumes significance as this will be one of the first instances in the country where highly paid professionals such as pilots would sit on a hunger strike.
However, the government has been giving feeler to the pilots to end the strike. Civil Aviation Minister Ajit Singh June 6 had invited the pilots to come back and resume their duties first and that they (sacked pilots) will be reinstated on case-to-case basis.
“We are not waiting for them for ever. We earlier asked them (pilots) to come back and said that no one will be victimised. We had even given a chance to sacked pilots that they can also come back and we will take them back on a case-to-case basis,” the minister earlier told IANS.
The strike Sunday entered its 48-day and has reportedly caused a revenue loss of Rs.530 crores.
- Fast from Sunday: Air India pilots to go the Anna way - Jun 23, 2012
- Air India pilots go on hunger strike (Lead) - Jun 24, 2012
- Despite hardships, families of striking Air India pilots support stir - Jun 26, 2012
- With pilots on strike, Air India losses mount to Rs.600 crore - Jun 29, 2012
- Striking Air India pilots seek PM's intervention - Jun 25, 2012
- Air India strike enters 55th day, two more pilots hospitalised - Jun 30, 2012
- Air India strike enters 17th day; loses Rs.270 crore (Lead) - May 24, 2012
- Ready to reinstate sacked pilots on case-by-case basis: Ajit Singh (Second Lead) - May 23, 2012
- Air India pilots to call off strike (Roundup) - Jul 03, 2012
- Talk, settle dispute: Court to Air India, striking pilots (Lead) - Jul 02, 2012
- Air India forms committee for reinstating sacked pilots - Jul 12, 2012
- Air India pilots' strike nears end (Second Lead) - Jul 03, 2012
- Air India may sack 300 more striking pilots (Lead, superseding earlier story) - Jun 11, 2012
- Pilots' stir: Chief labour commissioner to convene talks - Jun 13, 2012
- Pilots accuse Air India of retracting on its commitment (Lead) - Jul 07, 2012
Tags: air india, ajit singh, boeing, boeing 787, case basis, civil aviation, colleagues, committee member, indefinite hunger strike, indian airlines, instances, ipg, june 24, New Delhi, protest, reinstatement, reputation