AI board meet to decide on Boeing 787 arrival date, employees VRSMay 25th, 2012 - 7:49 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 25 (IANS) The Air India board will meet Monday to decide on the induction date of the Boeing 787 Dreamliner into the carrier’s fleet and a voluntary retirement scheme for employees, a senior official said Friday.
“Our board will meet on Monday to decide the arrival date of the 787. We have received reports from our pilots and engineers who are currently in the US on the performance of the aircraft,” a senior Air India official told IANS.
There were reports that the Dreamliner’s arrival will not take place June 1, 2012 as scheduled.
“Other issues like the VRS scheme and the interim route management plan in the current situation are also expected to be discussed.”
The meeting was supposed to take place Thursday (May 24) but was postponed for next week.
Another important issue the board will consider is the normalisation of the airline’s international operations that have been crippled by the 18-day ongoing pilots’ strike because of which the airline has lost Rs.280 crore in revenue.
“We are trying to mitigate losses which now stand at under Rs.10 crore per day. Our bookings in the current contingency plan, under which we are operating clubbed flights to destinations in US and Europe, are full,” said the official.
The airline has also decided to reduce fares by placing a large chunk of seats under the lowest fare category to augment its share in the domestic and international sector.
“We have proposed that a large chunk of seats be under the lowest fare category with the seat factor in consideration. Our bookings are increasing.”
The airline had the fourth largest market share in April at 17.6 percent, preceded by SpiceJet at 17.7, Jet Airways at 21.4 percent and IndiGo at 23.8 percent.
- Day 21, Rs.300 crore losses - Air India crisis continues - May 28, 2012
- AI employees suffer as strike continues for 19th day (Lead) - May 26, 2012
- Air India strike continues for 19th day, losses at Rs.290 crore - May 26, 2012
- Minister tells striking pilots to get back to work (Lead) - May 29, 2012
- Day 22, Air India loss mounts to Rs.310 crore - May 29, 2012
- Panel to rationalise Air India's loss-making routes (Lead) - May 28, 2012
- Air India proposes VRS to cut down staff - May 27, 2012
- Air India board decides on loan restructuring, cost-cutting measures - Nov 29, 2011
- Air India to cut loss-making routes (Lead) - Jun 05, 2012
- Ajit Singh calls Air India unions for talks (Lead) - May 17, 2012
- Despite strike, Air India passenger traffic grows - Jul 01, 2012
- Air India's domestic load factor rose to 82 percent in May - Jun 05, 2012
- Boeing to deliver first 787 Dreamliner to Air India next year (Lead) - Nov 09, 2010
- Boeing to deliver 100 aircraft to India in five years - Mar 14, 2012
- UAE airline places $2.8 bn order for Boeing planes - Dec 13, 2011
Tags: air india, arrival date, boeing 787 dreamliner, chunk, contingency plan, crore, current situation, indigo, induction, international operations, international sector, jet airways, lowest fare, management plan, market share, New Delhi, normalisation, route management, spicejet, voluntary retirement scheme