Ahmedabad’s first co-operative bank in liquidity crisisMay 13th, 2009 - 7:29 pm ICT by IANS
Ahmedabad, May 13 (IANS) The city’s first co-operative bank - Ahmedabad People’s Cooperative Bank - is caught in a cash crunch and will have to seek the central bank’s help to avoid closing down operations, officials said Wednesday.
The bank’s liquidity has dried up with the deposit base getting completely eroded, chairman Nayan Kumar Majmudar told reporters.
The bank, founded in 1932 with 51,635 customers and eight branches, including one in Dhandhuka town, about 100 km from here, is struggling to cope with the mounting non-performing assets (NPAs) also.
Non-repayment of loan dues worth Rs.35 crore out of a total Rs.50 crore advances by the bank over the past several years is the main reason for the mounting losses, the chairman said.
The bank will seek help from the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) to avoid closing down operations, an official told IANS, seeking anonymity.
However, the depositors’ investments are safe as the bank has taken insurance from Deposit Insurance and Credit Guarantee Corp (DICGC), an arm of the RBI, the official said.
DICGC provides insurance protection to depositors for up to Rs.100,000.
Indo-Asian News Service
- Rs.1,360 crore unclaimed money lying with banks: Mukherjee - Dec 03, 2010
- RBI asks northeast to crack whip on chit funds - May 26, 2011
- Regulatory body sought to check illegal financial firms - Mar 10, 2011
- RBI suggests change in Maharashtra bank board - May 07, 2011
- U.S. federal regulators close 5 banks in 4 states - Apr 28, 2012
- Depositors demand money from collapsed bank - Aug 05, 2011
- Re-investigate Madhavpura Cooperative Bank scam: Prosecutor - Jan 07, 2011
- Pranab asks banks to reduce non-performing assets - Jun 12, 2012
- Bank staff begin 72-hour march to Mumbai - Oct 30, 2011
- Tripura to probe illegal financial firms - Mar 07, 2012
- Indian Bank to raise $500 mn for overseas operations - Jul 29, 2011
- RBI moves against fake currency deposit - Feb 15, 2012
- Tripura gets tougher law for illegal financial firms - Aug 18, 2011
- U.S. federal regulators close First International Bank in Texas - Oct 01, 2011
- Interest rates on provident fund, post office savings hiked - Nov 11, 2011
Tags: ahmedabad, anonymity, asian news, bank of india, cash crunch, co operative bank, cooperative bank, credit guarantee, crore, deposit insurance, depositors, indo, insurance protection, liquidity crisis, majmudar, non performing assets, rbi, reserve bank of india, sjb, snc