Ahmedabad auto-rickshaws owners threaten indefinite strikeFebruary 19th, 2008 - 10:23 pm ICT by admin
Ahmedabad, Feb 19 (IANS) Auto-rickshaw operators in Ahmedabad Tuesday threatened to go on an indefinite strike from March 2 if the hike in the compressed natural gas (CNG) price were not rolled back. The city’s 60,000 auto-rickshaws, which went off the roads Monday in protest against the fuel price hike, will ply from Wednesday to provide relief to the people, Ashok Punjabi, chairman of the operators’ action committee, told reporters after a meeting.
Punjabi said the meeting, however, decided to intensity the struggle over the fuel price hike, as there was no indication either from the Gujarat government or from Adani Energy Limited, which provides CNG, on a roll-back.
“We have planned a protest rally before the state assembly,” he added.
The state government increased the price of CNG by Rs.3.50 per Kg.
- Delhi's autos, taxis to go on strike from Aug 3 - Jul 20, 2012
- Commuting by CNG driven autos, taxis to cost dearly in Mumbai - Jun 22, 2010
- Left leaders detained, shutdown hits Delhi (Second Lead) - May 31, 2012
- Citing pubic sentiments, Dikshit withdraws VAT on CNG (Lead) - Jun 04, 2012
- New Delhi's CNG drive worsened some vehicles' climate impacts: Study - Mar 02, 2011
- Auto-rickshaws older than 10 years banned in Ranchi - May 15, 2012
- Mumbai's auto-richshaws to get electronic meters - Oct 09, 2011
- Government withdraws VAT on CNG - Jun 04, 2012
- CNG costs Rs.5.60 more a kg from midnight in Delhi (Lead) - Jun 16, 2010
- Petrol to be cheaper, CNG costlier in Delhi (Lead, superseding earlier story) - May 28, 2012
- Strike takes autos off Delhi roads, commuters hit - Feb 28, 2012
- Delhi to decide on auto-rickshaw fare hike - May 31, 2010
- CNG price raised by Rs.2.30 in national capital region - Sep 30, 2011
- Auto, taxi drivers protest gas price hike - May 20, 2010
- Harrowing time for Delhi as shutdown hits traffic (Lead) - May 31, 2012
Tags: action committee, ashok, auto rickshaw, compressed natural gas, fuel price hike, gujarat government, indefinite strike, intensity, protest rally, punjabi, rickshaws, state assembly, state government, struggle